Author Topic: Is it common to have balance deficiency on both sides?  (Read 4639 times)

christynic

Is it common to have balance deficiency on both sides?
« on: June 28, 2012, 12:46:19 am »
I'm new to all of this - I had surgery in January and expected to be back to work within 12 weeks.  It took me 9 weeks to even attempt driving, and then only two miles because of the intense dizziness.  It's now five months and I'm still totally disoriented in a new place, and have to concentrate on keeping my legs in the right place while walking.  I can't control my legs when I walk with my eyes closed.  It's so frustrating to read about all the people that have had AN surgery and are driving, or running, after a month!  When I run it looks like the Blair Witch Project - the scenery bounces like crazy. 

I am seeing my surgeon next week to read the results of a test they did on my remaining (right) balance nerve to see how functional it is, and I'm wondering how common it is to have a deficient balance nerve on the non-surgical side.  How abnormal am I, and is there anything I'm doing wrong?  I have PT once a week; that's what I can afford  :)

Christy
1.5 cm Left AN removed 1/24/12
Suboccipital resection/Scripps Green La Jolla
Left SSD (pre-surgery hearing was 100%)
34 yrs old

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Is it common to have balance deficiency on both sides?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:16:11 am »
Did you have a VNG (Videonystagmography)?

http://www.stopdizziness.com/services_vng.asp

If you did, I can't imagine why they didn't tell you the results on the spot.

When I had mine a couple of weeks ago, the tester told me the results right then.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

LakeErie

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:17:59 am »
I was jogging again in 3 months after surgery, but did not feel normal doing it. Had minor issues with balance standing, walking, jogging, especially with head movements. I, too, had the bouncing vision every day. But none of it was severe enough to prevent me from doing anything. Everything that seemed wrong resolved completely at 7 months except the scenery bouncing which has recurred twice in the last week but only for a few minutes at a time. I guess everyone has their own pace of recovery and, of course, their own set of symptoms to deal with. Some people have headaches and no balance issues, while I had balance problems and zero headaches as an example.
My throat problems continue as another example, but they also continue to improve though it is at a glacial pace. I am approaching 9 months since surgery next week. Good luck
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

christynic

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 10:14:50 am »
Thanks arizonajack,

I did have that test, but only the caloric section (warm and cold air).  Halfway through the second air test on my non-surgery side, it seemed like the room went blacker behind the closed goggles, but other than that I didn't feel anything remarkable.  The lady who performed the test said that she had to do some analysis first before there would be any results.
34 yrs old

christynic

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 10:19:26 am »
LakeErie,

Thanks!  Do you have trouble in new, busy and dark places still?  I get so overwhelmed in new restaurants or stores sometimes; it feels like everything is closing in on me and my walking starts to deteriorate.  I walked into church one time and they had an unexpected light show while the band was playing in the dark, and I completely lost control of my head for a moment!
34 yrs old

LakeErie

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 02:55:49 pm »
I had the most trouble outdoors, especially going from inside to outside. I attended a wedding reception in April and it was dark, loud music, lots of talking around me, and I had trouble walking straight. That was the only time I have been in a new, dark environment. I have night lights everywhere in my home now, so I have no problems after dark in familiar surroundings.
Once May 7th came, I had virtually no problems, but have not tried any receptions yet. I don't anticipate any problems since everything else is so much better. In my case it just took a certain amount of time to adjust and my " swimming " head disappeared,
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017