Author Topic: Large AN, traveling for treatment, but where?  (Read 11974 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Large AN, traveling for treatment, but where?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 01:05:39 pm »
My suspicion was/is that there's little behind it, but asking questions from a point of skepticism can be good sometimes.  :)

Agreed.  I love playing devil's advocate on the Forum - gets people thinking . . .

Lots of things shouldn't be taken at face value.

Jan  >:D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 02:43:05 pm »
Just came across your post.

I had a large tumor and was treated by Drs. Barker & McKenna AT MGH in Boston. I had the best care a person could have at MGH with those two. With a 5cm X 5cm tumor, my case was not an 'in-and-out-of-the-hospital-in-2-3-days'  situation either. I had two surgeries for a shunt and the tumor resection (debulking) one month later. Between the two surgeries I was in the hospital close to five weeks altogether. I came through the ordeal fabulously however. MGH gets my vote!

Please contact me for further detailed information if you need to.

Paul
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:26:54 pm by Crazycat »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

august22

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 03:30:10 pm »
I had my AN (Translab approach) removed at House in LA by Dr. William Slattery and a team of others. I felt like I was in the best hands. My tumor had cut off my hearing and balance nerves so I already had SSD going in. The tumor was also on my facial nerve so there was the chance of losing that. They were able to scrape it off the facial nerve and I have no paralysis at all.

There are probably other good Dr.s out there that have been trained at House. But not all the people involved in your surgery (if you go to a facility other than House) will have the expertise of House. Look at the numbers. House has done more AN's than anyone as well as the research.

Good luck
Sally

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 02:19:52 pm »
You stated that your surgery would require a retrosigmoid approach.

Come to think of it, the last time I met with Dr. McKenna, he told me I had the same approach with my surgery. I never knew that until last year and my surgery was in '05.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:27:18 pm by Crazycat »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 04:55:05 pm »
I too have had the Retro approach and have constant headaches I went with this to preserve my hearing but did not do my research with other options and doctors. I believe they say the headaches are from the dust from the drill if the doctors to not take precautionary measures with gel foams to absorb it that is when problems arise... So far it sounds like you have done your research and definitely I am partial to HEI and I did not even go there just by their track numbers is enough for me and Dr. Friedman reviewed my reports after surgery was done by another team in the NY area and I was very impressed with that.  I have heard great things about Dr. Sisti Columbia and Dr. Golfino at NYU...but with the small piece I have left behind if it ever grows (praying it does not) I think I would get the courage to fly to HEI..Good luck with whatever decision you make just research and choose a GREAT team.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

sterry

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 08:09:15 pm »
I had a translab for 3.7 cm AN at House 10-09 and travelled from Wyoming and would do nothing different. My outcome, like many has been excellent, no headaches, balance good, no facial problems. Do the homework, and go with your heart and gut. Best wishes.
Susie
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

Handma1d

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 02:34:35 pm »
Greetings,
Am 3 weeks post-surgery and am doing great. I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan, which is fairly close to you. My ENT surgeon, DR. Robert Daniels, is a phenomenal surgeon. He has 20+ years experience. He operates with neurosurgeon, Dr. Bryan Figeroa. Doc Figeroa is younger, but is also excellent. He was recruited to come to West Michigan because he is so dang good! Dr. Henry Arts at the U.of Michigan is also excellent if Eastern Michigan works better for you. Dr. Arts did my second opinion for me and was a wonderful resource. He has many, many years of experience. I'd say good luck but I don't believe in luck. I will say God bless you, however! Hang in there!
Peace,
Diane

Mei Mei

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 03:52:16 pm »
I suggest Capt Deb go to Dr. Ducic at Georgetown.   I've been through the Botox/Xeomin, Cluster headache treatment and after Dr. Ducic and Dr. Maureen Moriarity, I am happily doing much better.
In good health to Capt Deb.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh