Author Topic: MD Anderson vs. House  (Read 6207 times)

Gus

MD Anderson vs. House
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:17:16 pm »
I'm on wait and watch but have been advised that if I was to do something, surgery is my best option due to my age, 54.  Has anyone had Dr. Paul Gidley at MD Anderson perform surgery on them for their AN?  Dr. Gidley is monitoring my AN and has a good reputation, but I know Dr. Freidman also is well respected, however, he is out of network and Dr. Gidley in network.  Also, had anyone used the Mayo Clinic and if so, who was your surgeon.
Thanks,
Gus
8x 16 mm AN on left side
Diagnosed September 2010
Wait and Watch until MRI showed 2 mm growth in July 2012
Surgery on Aug. 30, 2012 via middle fossa at MD Anderson; results showed the tumor to be a benign meningioma instead of a AC.  Hearing was saved; mild Tinnitus; Feel Very Blessed

Sonia

Re: MD Anderson vs. House
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 05:23:21 am »
Hello Gus,
     Dr. Friedman at Shands did my radio surgery Nov 2010. My AN is 1.9 cm on left side. So far, so good my recent MRI 8/2011 showed no growth and there are black areas which mean the tumor is dying. He is good at his trade but I felt he is a little cold in his bed side manners. He tries however, I feel I do not get enough reassurance of the process and outcome especially when issues arise. 
     I met Dr. Fields at Florida Hospital South and he is very detailed and attentive. I got a second opinion from him and he was more than happy to help and give information. The only reason I did not do it through him was the machine (Gamma Knife) was intimidating (enclosed) however, he just told me I would of gotten sedation and that would not have been an issue.
     Get as many opinions as you need before you make the decision. Surgery was a immediate option for me until I weighed all the recovery time and outcome. I took the least invasive way because I wanted to continue my daily routine as soon as possible.
     I hope this helped. Good Luck.

S :)nia

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 06:22:21 am »
Hi Gus .....

It gets confusing on this forum sometimes because there is more than one Dr. Friedman.  From your title, I think you are referring to Dr. Rick Friedman at House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles.

Before you make your decision, call Dr. Friedman or the House Clinic insurance department and ask about how they handle out of network cases.  I know they work with individual patients on their payment/insurance needs.  You may be pleasantly surprised that the cost is not what you think.  In my mind, it is well worth it to go to House, even if you have a slightly higher co-pay.  The docs out there have vast experience and skills.

I know nothing about Dr. Gidley but you may want to ask him how many AN (specifically) cases he does every year.

Just my thoughts.  Many prayers for the best decision for you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

MNTim

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 07:13:09 pm »
Gus,

My third and final craniotomy was done at Mayo in Rochester, MN by Drs. Link and Driscoll.  They removed what remained of a twice operated on 5 cm tumor.  I am guessing it was pretty tricky because of the scar tissue.  I have recovered well for the size and feel that I received great care. 

With your tumor size I would say you are in a bit of a different situation than I was.  Do your research and get multiple opinions then go where you are most comfortable.

Best of luck,
Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

aran

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 06:38:46 pm »
Hi Gus,

I live in Houston and met the Docs. in MG-Aderson and have been suggested to undergo surgery.   
Meanwhile, did you met anyone who was treated for this problem at MG-Aderson.

Any information is highly appreciated.

Gus

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 10:29:27 am »
Excuse the very late reply; no  I do not know of anyone that has undergone treatment at MD Anderson.
However, Dr. Gidley did quite a few per year and seemed very competent based on my gut instinct.
8x 16 mm AN on left side
Diagnosed September 2010
Wait and Watch until MRI showed 2 mm growth in July 2012
Surgery on Aug. 30, 2012 via middle fossa at MD Anderson; results showed the tumor to be a benign meningioma instead of a AC.  Hearing was saved; mild Tinnitus; Feel Very Blessed

Archer

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 01:49:21 pm »
X2 on what MNTim said.  I had my first AN removed at Mayo by Drs. Link and Driscoll.  It turned out quite well.  I am SSD but have been otherwise problem free for 9 years.  I  am now seeing  them as we W&W the new AN on the other side which is starting to cause some balance and hearing issues in this past year.  Great care at St. Marys in Rochester and the Mayo team of Drs and staff are excellent. 

That being said, I am doing the free consult with Dr. Brackman at House in LA as well.  My first conference with him was very reassuring I am on the right track.  I do plan to go see him after my next MRI and get a second opinion on how we proceed.  I have family in the LA area so a visit to House during a vacation to the area will work well for me.  I have more at risk this time around so I figure second opinions can't hurt.  If opinions are the same, I will be more comfortable and confident.

susierg

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:32:33 am »
Hi Gus,
I am scheduled to have surgery on the 24th of this month with Dr Gidley and Dr Demonte.  Was wondering if you chose them and if so how everything went.  I have been seeing both of them for 5 years, as I have been on W&W for a tiny 4mm AN.  This year it decided to grow, so they recommended middle fossa to try and preserve my hearing.  Would really appreciate any input you had on your surgery...if you did decide to have it there.
thanks!
4mm AN diagnosed 8/2007.  Watch and wait for 5 years.  5/2012 grew to 7x4x4.
Mid Fossa 7/2012 at MD Anderson, Houston,Tx
SSD but still hoping it will return.