Author Topic: Numbness  (Read 3330 times)

Twindy

Numbness
« on: May 10, 2012, 06:37:58 am »
I had radiosurgery on tuesday and am just wondering how long to expect numbness in my skull.  Also, one of the pins was right above my eyebrow and I'm having trouble raising that eyebrow...do you think that is due to the pin having been there or am I having facial problems?  It's the strangest sensation...when I touch that forehead pin site I feel a sensation on the top of my head!  And finally, I'm having a little twinge along my jaw/neck...normal?   I'm assuming these are all normal reactions, but am curious if any of you had them.  Otherwise I am doing fine. 

Cheryl R

Re: Numbness
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 07:05:07 am »
twindy, Is it a little swollen at that pin site?  That might be some of the problem if it is.   I have no experience with that but if still there after a couple days then did they give you a number to call if have questions like have from the oto clinic?        I hope all goes well for you now and hope it works with no long term issues!      I hope the rest of 2012 goes well for you as took a lot of time to make what was the best choice of treatment for you.
                                                                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Bonnie B.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 07:09:11 am »
Hi Twindy,
I had GK in March and the scalp numbness lasted a few days.  The same with the eyebrow thing.    It did leave however.

Hang in there.

Bonnie

diangosed 1/2012  with 1.7 cum AN
GK  3/15/2012
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

Twindy

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:39:59 am »
Thanks, good to know!  While they covered a lot about what to expect, that was not one the things discussed!

luckyone

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 05:09:09 pm »
I had mine in April, did not get the numbness.  But I applied ice almost for 72 hours straight.  Perhaps you should continue with the icing until you see swelling go down... :)  Hope you have a speedy recovery!
03/03/2012 Lost partial hearing left ear
03/12/2012 MRI showing 0.8cm x 1.59cm x ?
03/13/2012 Diagnosed with AN left ear
03/13/2012 - 03/16/2012 Depressed like there was no tomorrow
04/03/2012 GK with Dr Duma @ Hoag
02/17/2014 Tumor stopped growing, shrank a bit!

mk

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 08:35:10 pm »
It is most likely the trauma from the pin - it will probably go away soon don't worry. When I had GK, the pin on the non-AN side was the one that hurt the most and it was bleeding a bit after frame removal. It was also more swollen. The swelling went away within a few days. I had some odd sensations around that site for about a month. Luckily for me it was the opposite to the AN side, which reassured me that this was due to the trauma from the pin. I am pretty sure that I would be freaking out if it was on the AN side.
Give it some time, you are only a couple of days after treatment.

Marianna

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

mattsmum

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 03:17:41 pm »
i had numbness of my forehead extending away from both pins over the top of my head. it made my scalp very sensitive for some time - it did eventually settle gradually over about 3 months.
i also had trouble moving both eyebrows - especially on the right. this settled a lot quicker than the numbness/hypersensitvity (in about 2-3 weeks). i had not been warned about these symptoms either. hope things are improving now.
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)