Author Topic: scheduled surgery today!  (Read 4038 times)

madison

scheduled surgery today!
« on: May 03, 2012, 02:47:25 pm »
Hello everyone!  I received a phone call today to schedule my surgery-which surprised me because i still havent seen the oto doc yet. The woman I spoke to said they have to work with both docs schedules, so they wanted to put it in the books. That is fine with me because I'm glad to have a date set.  It's going to be done at Thomas Jefferson on June 18th. I could have picked a date a bit sooner, but I figured this will give my husband and I time to square things away with work and other preparations.  I really enjoy shopping, so instead of buying work clothes I've been gathering some pj's and lounge wear kinda stuff.
I am amazed at how many people on this forum are chap stick junkies!  I am too- so I guess I better stock up on the Neutrogena lip balm that I use!  I know everyone is different, but how long after translab should I expect to wait before I can occupy my time with reading or playing on the ipad?  Surprisingly, I'm not nervous or anything(Although I know i'll be a mess the morning of)  I have had major health issues my whole life, so i'm just adding this to my list.  I have to have a meningioma removed after I recover from this operation.Well, just wanted to post my surgery date- I would really appreciate any prayers or advice. Thanks!
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: scheduled surgery today!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 03:08:34 pm »
Madison ~

Congratulations on attaining a surgery date! 

The time frame for using your iPad or reading shouldn't be long at all as these are relatively passive occupations.  However, as we are unique, there is no definite time frame.  Some post-op AN patients suffer from temporary eye/focus problems (I had mild double vision for a few days, post-op) and that, obviously, would prevent you from reading, be it from a book or an iPad. 

Thanks again for offering us your surgery date - June 18th.  My only suggestion is to get as healthy as you can pre-op, do things you really like to do and keep a positive attitude.  Oh yes, and keep posting as your schedule permits.  :)

You'll be in my prayers and those of many others so, consider yourself 'covered' in that department.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:10:30 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 06:04:26 pm »
I'm preparing for surgery too as mine is scheduled for next Friday (May 11th). I'm glad that you have a set date now and that you can start making preparations. And you sound really calm and confident about everything which is terrific. I feel like I've actually been doing a bit better knowing that my surgery is now only a week away instead of months away.
And I've been doing exactly what you said you've been doing, shopping for comfy PJS and loungewear! There's nothing better than a legitimate excuse to bum around in sweats all day.  ;D I'm planning to take some books and my laptop to the hospital along with some non-reading activities just so that I have options for things to occupy my time. I'm sure I'll be trying to spend most of it walking, walking, walking, but I think taking a book and your iPad is an excellent idea.
I wish you all the best with your surgery and hope for a speedy recovery for you! You'll be in my prayers.  :)
Manders
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:42:03 am »
Sending you my thoughts and prayers and will be waiting to read your posts once you are on the other side with great news to share with all.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

lrobie

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 07:49:16 am »
Now I feel like my surgery is so far away.  Manders - May 11th, Madison - June 18th and mine - July 18th.   On the positive side, that just gives me more time to buy those comfy clothes!!   :)

Keep us posted and best wishes on your surgery.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 08:19:42 am »
Adding my well wishes, thoughts, and prayers for a successful and uneventful surgery and recovery.

Regarding reading post translab:  I'm not sure whether the surgical approach makes the difference or not, but I had double vision and significantly long-term vision gaze stabilization problems after my suboccipital/retrosigmoid approach surgery four years ago (Feb., 2008) so reading was difficult for quite some time.  However, I had a second surgery for the regrowth one year ago (May, 2011) but this time via translab and had no vision disturbances at all.  I was playing on my iPhone by Day 2.

Bottom line:  I think everyone is unique and some of it depends upon post-op swelling, etc. so it would be difficult to say how soon you will be comfortable reading.

Many thoughts and prayers ..... you've had an unusually long journey, as well.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 12:51:26 am »
I wasn't able to read for a few week post-op due to issue's with my eye, wouldn't stay open when I wanted it to/dry eye etc. that caused blurry vision. I was very happy to have my walkman (yeah, long time ago eh?) to listen to music and once I was home the TV to watch. Might also be a good idea to take some cards to play when you've visitors!
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)