Archive > Archives

Can facial paralysis cause teeth problems?

(1/1)

RattieLady:
Since i had the operation to remove the tumor my teeth have seemed to get worse, my teeth were not 100% before the op but they have got more holes in since the op. Can anyone shed some light on this please? Thank you in advance.

RattieLady:
Bruce....
Thank you for the info. Soft teeth run in my family so i know that my teeth will crumble but now i know why it's happening more since my op. I'm booking an appointment with my dentist now i can tell the dentist this info so they don't think i've been not looking after my teeth. I just hope the paralysis gets better or my surgoen will be doiing some more surgory on me to try and get movement back into my face.

extropy:
Teeth problems (sometimes huge problems) are due to that different salivation (dry mouth, sometimes excessive salivation) after the vestibular schwannoma exeresis (sometimes even before the exeresis). That different salivation, in turn, is due to "nervus intermedius" (part of the facial nerve). But I'm no expert. -serafino (Rome, Italy)

ANSydney:
Are the teeth problem mainly on the side that your tumor was?

extropy:
ANSidney, no, not in my case. I'm inclined to think that the quality, the chemical composition of the saliva changes. And that causes huge damages to enamel and dentin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version