General Category > Hearing Issues

pulsating sound in nonsurgerial ear

(1/2) > >>

par:
For the last ten days, I have been having a pulsating sound in my hearing ear when I am lying down. At first, the sound started out like almost a puff, puff, puff. (I know. It is bizarre.) The sound continues to change; it can resemble a squeaky toy at times, and it is often at a faster pace. The volume could be considered equivalent to a loud whisper. The sound continues until I change position.
My ENT and audiologist both said that they have never heard of this before. I had an audiogram just a few days ago, and my hearing is fine.  My ENT is suggesting that I have an MRI. My last one was in November 2011.
Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if “yes,” what caused it?

grammyslim:
I have had similar happenings but decided it was my pulse - so I keep my wrist away from my head while lying down.
 :-*

ppearl214:
There is a form of tinnitus referred to as "pulsating" tinnitus.  I have had it many many times over the years. Speaking for myself only, I find when I am exceptionally over-stressed, it enhances (usually after a long day filled with stresses), so in nighttime hours, I feel it more.

Again, only speaking to my own experiences.

Phyl

par:
Thank you for your input. "Pulsating" tinnitus was mentioned as a possibility by one of the nurses I spoke to on the phone. (I haven't seen my out of state ENT yet so this will be discussed in more detail when I do.) You mentioned you felt it more during times of stress. Since retiring recently, I'm fortunate to be in a fairly stress free zone.

When you did experience this, did the pitch of the sound go quite high? It is almost a screeching sound at times for me. Of course, I can easily flip to my other side and I don't hear it any longer! I would, however, love to find out that it is not a symptom of another hearing problem. Can you give me an idea of how long your episodes lasted (days, weeks)? 

Kathleen_Mc:
That's one of the sounds I get in my "good ear". I started having problems with this a couple of years ok, hearing tested fine and MRI clear, ENT thought it was a sympathy tinnitus for the other ear......the good ear providing noise for that missing in the bad ear. Sometimes it sounds like a ringing phone, sometimes a pulse andlots of times it sounds like when you hold a large shell to your ear. It is mostly noticable when I lie down and it sometimes makes it hard to get to sleep. I am trying very hard to ignore it. I had it for a couple of years before I had an MRI so hopefully if there was something there it would have showed on the MRI. Of cource one always remains with the thought "what if it's NF2 and I have another tumor". I try my best to ignore it.
Kathleen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version