Author Topic: Post-translab: what I can and can't do  (Read 8009 times)

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
Post-translab: what I can and can't do
« on: April 06, 2012, 07:37:30 am »
Okay, so I finally had my pre-op appointments with the neurosurgeon and neurotologist and am all set to go for May 11th. I thought that I would have a bunch of pre-op testing to do but aside from drawing some labs, all they did was ask me some questions about my health and listened to my heart and lungs and told me they'd see me the day of.
I did have two questions regarding post-op abilities. My mom is planning to move my bed downstairs when I come home from the hospital since she thinks I won't be able to navigate the stairs. I hadn't really heard of issues going up and downstairs--did any of you have problems with this after surgery? Also, I'm a bit confused as the neurosurgeon said that I can't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 6 wks after and my neurotologist said nothing heavier than 20 lbs. So which is it? And the neurosurgeon also said no bending over from the waist. Does this sound similar to what your surgeons told you prior to surgery?
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Post-translab: what I can and can't do
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:55:06 am »
Hi there .....

My mom is planning to move my bed downstairs when I come home from the hospital since she thinks I won't be able to navigate the stairs. I hadn't really heard of issues going up and downstairs--did any of you have problems with this after surgery?

As long as you have a railing or something to hold on to, you should not have any problem with stairs.  In fact, before I left St. Vincent's Hospital, the OT/PT had me go up and down some stairs to make sure I was OK with that and it was no problem.  You will be very tired and probably a bit wobbly at first but you should not have any trouble negotiating the stairs.  I would really work between now and May 11th on exercising and strengthening your legs, so you have maximum endurance post-op.

Also, I'm a bit confused as the neurosurgeon said that I can't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 6 wks after and my neurotologist said nothing heavier than 20 lbs. So which is it?

I was always told no heavier than a gallon of milk.  You do not want to strain, at all, for at least six weeks.  This includes during bathroom needs, as well.

And the neurosurgeon also said no bending over from the waist. Does this sound similar to what your surgeons told you prior to surgery?

Bending over from the waist is an issue for at least two reasons: 1) blood rushes to your head 2) you can lose your balance very easily ..... neither one of which is a good thing following a craniotomy.

I had to laugh following my first craniotomy, when my post-op instructions included "no bungee jumping for six months."  LOL   ;D

Best wishes.

Clarice

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:45:43 am by CHD63 »
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

LakeErie

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 10:37:15 am »
Usually there are restrictions post-surgery for anything that increases ICP - Intracranial Pressure.
In my case, the dura, or the outside brain membrane, had to be dissected  to view the tumor. After removal of the tumor the dura was reapproximated and sealed in a watertight fashion. Increasing ICP can increase the chance of a CFS leak. which I did develop 2 days after surgery.  I suppose increased ICP could affect other things as well. Straining in anyway such as lifting heavy objects, coughing ( I developed bronchitis 4 days after discharge complicating my CSF leak,) are discouraged after cranial surgery. Good luck
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 11:37:24 am »
Manders ~

Clarice offerd a pretty comprehensive outline of the post-op restrictions and the following posts also were helpful.  I was a tad caviler about my post-op activities and was fortunate not to have had any problems related to lifting and bending, which I did, although not often or in any way that was completely foolhardy.   

I live in a townhouse and climbed the stairs to our bedroom and my office on a regular basis with no problem at all, that I can recall.  Lifting should be minimized and bending from the waist also avoided, just as your doctor stated.  As you recover, it can be difficult to obey the rules bercause you feel good and want to get back to your normal routine.  I did.  However, overdoing it can cause problems you don't need or want so I would advise you to err on the side of caution in regard to post-op restrictions.  Time passes and they'll be invalid soon enough.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:49:21 am »
Going up and down stairs is a personal matter. I am two years post op and still have problems going up and down stairs. We go to my neighbors high school games, and going up and down the bleachers generally requires me to hold on to someone. I am still wonky 24/7, and that is the worst part of the entire surgery for me. SSD is not a big deal for me. I am a weight lifter, and did not lift weights for three months following my surgery. It is a big deal not to lift! Your mom is smart to move you down stairs until you are pretty stable on your feet.

James

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 02:19:59 pm »
Okay, so it does sound like the doctors were pretty much spot on with their post-surgery instructions. (sigh) I guess part of me was hoping that they were just exaggerating a bit but it sounds like I really will have to play it safe for 4-6 weeks. Ohh, this is going to be sooo hard not to "break the rules." I'm hoping that I will at least be able to navigate the stairs. I'd prefer my own room to camping out in the living room. It's frustrating not knowing just how much of an issue I'm going to have with balance afterwards. I do work out regularly though as I am a Zumba instructor so at least I'll be heading into this whole thing in good physical shape.
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 09:46:26 pm »
Hi Manders.  I went to HEI  too with great outcome.  You should be fine with stairs with hand rail.  Also, I stuck to the gallon of milk limit and made sure I didn't bend over, cough, snneze closed mouth etc because I did not want to chance a CSf leak.  You will probably feel better sooner then you think but if you go against the guidelines and get a leak....well that's way worse then being cautious for 6 weeks.  With your attitude and physical condition, you are going to do amazing!
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 03:13:52 am »
Hi Manders

I'll be thinking of you on the 11th May.  Hugs go out to you from across the seas.

Clarice answered the questions exactly the same way as I was going to so I'll leave you with all of the other answeres as well.

Do please follow what the doctors tell you and if you're in any doubt please ask them. I wrote down my questions and handed them over in the pre-op room!  Hubby was given the answers for when I woke up and the main thing that was stressed was not to strain in any way.

Lovenhugs,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 03:02:41 pm »
Thank you! I really appreciate all of your support. I am trying to maintain a positive attitude and stay in the best shape possible beforehand so that the recovery process goes as swiftly and smoothly as possible. I'll be good though and do whatever my doctors tell me. :)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 05:09:44 am »
Being in top physical shape will help you recover faster. I work out every day. During my surgery the nurses bet on my age and missed it by 20 years. You will have lots of time to get back into shape so don't rush it.

James