Author Topic: Lucky(?) Diagnosis  (Read 3811 times)

SGBlons

• Living with uncertainty and great joy!
Lucky(?) Diagnosis
« on: December 20, 2011, 09:57:23 am »
My AN was diagnosed just a week ago from an MRI ordered by my ENT doc.  I had been losing hearing in my left ear for a while and began having symptoms of tinnitus about 18 months ago.  I have no other symptoms (headaches, balance).  My doctor thought we should do the MRI to rule out an AN.  But there it was.  Small (5-7mm) but clearly the real deal.  I am now in the process of getting an appointment at the Mayo Clinic, which is only an hour away. 

As I am reading and learning more about ANs, I guess I'm glad my Doc played his hunch and I can get after this thing sooner rather than later.  I am also delighted and so grateful to discover ANA, all its resources and this forum.  Support is everything!  I have been reading the ways that ANs respond to and encourage one another on this forum.  Very heart warming. 

The journey ahead for me, like all newly diagnosed patients,  is still full of unknowns.  I am stressed, no doubt about that.  But your stories help me trust that whatever may come, I will have companions all along the way.
5-7mm AN L; diagnosed 12/9/11
As of June 2014 now 9mm
Still W&W

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Lucky(?) Diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 11:48:25 am »
Hi SGBlons and welcome to this forum .....

We're here to support you all the way so stick around!  Be sure to send for the free ANA materials:  http://www.anausa.org/index.php/contact-us/free-ana-information-packet  They contain a wealth of information and resources as you begin your journey into research.

Many thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 02:43:45 pm »
Welcome to the club no one really wants to be apart of........ but we are really nice and supportive as we know what you are dealing with..
Take time to enjoy your holidays and keep researching and reading on here,, lots of different experiences and lots of advice.. good luck to you as you begin your journey. jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 04:12:56 pm »
Hi - and welcome ~

Thanks for the kind words for the ANA and our internet discussion forums.  I hope you'll be able to put your AN diagnosis aside during the Christmas holiday and know that it is not only eminently treatable but that your friends will be here to help and support you as you begin this journey.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 10:02:31 pm »
Welcome to the Forum.

You'll find it's a great resource.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:55:51 pm »
SGBlons,

Yes, we are lucky to be living in a time when they can treat these things! Believe it or not, there was a time where the doctors were to afraid of surgery that time was pre 1970. I had my first surgery in 1973 at Columbia Presbetarian, although it was an unrelated surgery it was surgery for 3 AVM's.

In 2004, I had to undergo an AN surgery, now the tumor has grown back and I have to have another procedure.

Fortunately, we all now have a forum from which we can draw on each others mutual support!
We are lucky to have each other! Even though, we maybe far apart!

At one time in my life before the Internet, Facebook , Twitter and the rest it was very lonely for patients like us.

Now we have recourses galore, it is up to us to use them. I reflect Jan's opinion welcome! Use us!

Please forgive my ramblings, I just got around to reading this thread..

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!