Author Topic: Off balance while standing still?  (Read 39544 times)

b28

Off balance while standing still?
« on: January 04, 2012, 10:49:58 pm »
Do you or have you guys experience off balance while standing still?  Whenever I am standing still I am constantly swaying. If I don't hang onto something or just make myself stay balanced I will fall over. It's getting really old. I'm not diagnosed. I'm having my first MRI hopefully soon pending insurance preauthorization approval.  I know there are other causes for this and my other symptoms but I'm just wondering. Thanks!

Kathleen_Mc

Re: Off balance while standing still?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 04:00:55 am »
yes I do sway, never fell over though but it sure feels like I'm going to, been like since my initial surgery in 1990, mostly bothersome when I'm ill with a sinus problem and then it really gets bad
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 05:23:12 am »
For many, since the tumor resides on the hearing/balance nerve complex (VIII Cranial nerve), many report balance issues.... for those of us that have AN's.... it's a reality dose of "welcome to our world."

Please keep us posted regarding the MRI findings and if you do have an AN.  Hang in there.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 07:52:02 pm »
Yes I sway a lot, in fact my wife helps to hold me steady.  If I turn quickly that is also bad and I have fallen four times so far.  I am aware so I try to take it slow.

TJ

Mark H

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 11:02:37 pm »
I'm a swing and swayer my own self. Mt AN's are both tiny at about 2-3mm each but my balance isn't the best. Standing still I prefer to beleaning or holding on to something. I just don't feel secure standinding without something to grab close by. I can't look up without losing my balance. Not always a fun thing but over the years I've gotten kinda used to it.
Mark

kkgriffin

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 04:05:12 pm »
Yes I also sway a lot.  I really have trouble going down a hall way or up the aisle like in church.  My husband has had to catch me by set me back straight.  I am thinking of checking into getting a service dog.  Does anyone have one?

mchp82

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 10:43:28 pm »
My last MRI from a few months ago showed a 6mm by 2mm AN, and I have balance problems as well. When standing I must move one foot in front of or behind me to keep myself from falling, and if I bend backwards I tend to fall very quickly, and then bending forward I tend to fall fairly quickly and have had a few falls from bending forward, back, and just from standing still.

From what I can see both pre-op and post-op it's a problem that's there to stay.

kkgriffin

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 07:20:32 pm »
One thing I know for sure if I am ever stopped by an officer I will not do a field sobriety test unless he is ready to catch me!!!  In other words I have plenty of swaying and staggering without ever drinking.  I would hate to find out what it would be like if I did drink.

Mei Mei

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 08:40:16 am »
Actually I loose balance when standing still and don't get dizzy either.   Last April, I fell down a flight of stairs without any warning of getting dizzy.   I broke my hand  and was in a cast for six weeks.   Now there is a bump there that needs another surgery to fix that.   Of course I declined that.    My knees are all marked up from falling.

My solution to this is to sign up at the recreation center for Chen Tai Chi and Qi Gong.    Chen TaiChi was what my cousin's husband told me to follow and no other kind.    I've also got the DVDs from them to practice in between lessons.    It has been an incredible help with my balance.   The teacher even addressed the entire class about my progress which make me feel good and was a great encouragement.

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh