Author Topic: Dr. Fukushima?  (Read 4430 times)

JennieD

Dr. Fukushima?
« on: March 09, 2012, 10:29:30 am »
Hi everyone. I have only posted once before on the community board. My dad was diagnosed with a "small" (does not know actual size) AN tumor in early February. He has decided on surgery and has just received the name of his neurosurgeon, Dr. Takanori Fukushima. He will be having the surgery at Duke University (very close to where they live). Has anyone heard of him? The information provided on websites is reassuring with 1200+ AN surgeries completed, 98% success with facial nerve and 70-80% hearing preservation success. I just wanted to see if anyone had any prior experience or knowledge of him on a first-hand basis. For a little background, my dad has had total vision loss (no light perception) from a young age, so the risk of potentially losing his hearing is of importance, as well as the significant risk of balance difficulties. Any info is appreciated!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Dr. Fukushima?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 01:28:19 pm »
Hi, Jennie ~

If you type 'Dr. Fukushima' in the SEARCH box (found in the upper left side of the page) you'll find many threads relating to Dr. Fukushima, all of them positive.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cindyswart

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 03:18:31 pm »
JennieD, I had surgery with Dr Fukushima in August of 2011- please feel free to call me- I would love to share!

910-568-8717
Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 03:36:41 pm »
Jenny .....

Dr. Fukushima did my first AN surgery 4 years ago.  He is excellent and your dad will be in good hands with him.  PM me if you (or he) would like to talk.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JennieD

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 02:06:26 pm »
Thank you all so much for your help! I will probably be calling or PM-ing soon :) There is so much to research that it gets overwhelming at times!