Author Topic: what symptoms to expect in Gamma or Cyber Knife  (Read 5524 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
what symptoms to expect in Gamma or Cyber Knife
« on: March 23, 2012, 01:25:58 pm »
Guys,

I am trying to get some information as to what type of symptoms to expect from each type of procedure that I am about to undergo. It will be the deciding factor for one or the other.

Let me be clear, I will only undergo one! Either Gamma or Cyber Knife. Will each be temporary or permanent?

Thank you and have a pain free weekend!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

GRACE1

Re: what symptoms to expect in Gamma or Cyber Knife
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:19:29 am »
     It has been awhile since I have been on this site.  I had GK in Dec 2006 at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in Winston Salem NC.  After much research, I decided this was the best place to go for me.  They do a lot of GKs there.
     I had my last follow-up MRI in Dec 2011.  I was supposed to go in Dec 2010, but the weather was do bad I decided to postpone my appt until the spring.  I kept putting off the date until i finally made it in Dec 2012.  My AN had not changed in 3 years - it was stable.  It had decreased in size by 50% during the first year after GK.  Since it is stable, I don't have to go back for 5 years.  YEAH!!!!  I have been so blessed and lucky.
     I hope my signature with all my past description comes in when I post this; if not, I will try to find an old post and cut and paste.
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

MDemisay

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:01:15 am »
Thank you for sharing Grace!

Mike

Ps. I am leaning toward GK but am keeping options open! I had the AN subtotally debulked by Dr. Sisti  (in  2004)now he recommends GK . Almost made it to 9 years! Oh well back to the drawing board!
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

sunfish

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:07:42 am »
Mike, can you clarify a little what symptoms you mean?  Are you talking about the short-term after effects of the treatments, or are you worried more long-term about symptoms?

I can honestly say that my symptoms are about the same as they were in the two months prior to CK, which was two years ago.  Thus, I can't really say that I have any long-standing symptoms which are a direct result of CK. 

The one exception might be my blood pressure.  I've had the unusual experience that, after my blood pressure went sky high the week of CK, it never stabilized and I've been on meds ever since. My bp is stable on meds now.  It was always quite normal before the AN and CK.  My primary care physician and I can only guess that the radiation somehow caused this.  But I don't think there would be a difference between CK and GK in that regard.

In the week after CK, I had quite a bit of tinnitus, only one minor headache, some swallowing problems.  I think some of my difficulties the week during and after treatment were due more to the decadron and ativan than the CK itself. 

I've had good results from CK - tumor necrosis, no growth or swelling.  I'm happy with my decision to go forward with CK
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

MDemisay

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 07:45:23 pm »
Sunfish,

I suppose I am a big chicken! I would like not to do any procedure at all....As I have had 2 surgeries already one for 3 AVM's in 1974 and one for an AN in 2004. But I am a realist , I know I have to deal with a procedure so I am interested in as less pain as possible.....long term I suppose. I am waning towards Gamma because of the time factor it wouldn't take as long. Which should I choose , which would have the best outcome?

Thanks for your prayers in advance!

Mike

sunfish

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 05:51:10 am »
Wow, you've been through a lot!  Either CK or GK would seem minor compared to your previous surgeries.  Although I had CK, I also have a young friend who had GK, and was back at work after a couple days with very, very few ill effects.  It seems like both procedures are pretty good options.  If I was picking between the two procedures, I'd actually place emphasis in my decisions on the doctors, their experience, and who I wanted to do my followup.  Hope this helps.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

windy

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 03:09:33 pm »
Mike,

I went into GK with 100% hearing recognition and my last hearing test shows hearing recognition of 56%, so I did lose a lot of my hearing, post treatment. Also, the symptoms that have been post treatment for me that have stayed with me have been headaches and ear pain. My balance has not been affected. I have had a host of transient issues post treatment, but have listed only the ones that are present, to date.

All in all, I think you will be in good shape, post treatment from the majority of experiences. I wish you well!!

Windy
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

Bonnie B.

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 03:19:44 pm »
I had GK surgery ten days ago.  I resumed all of my regular activities two days later.  I did have headaches for a few days but, they have almost gone now.    I liked the GK because it was only one day and then you are done.    Good luck with your decision.
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 04:22:13 pm »
Hi Mike.

Have you tried sending your info to Barrow Acoustic Neuroma Center in Phoenix?

Following is a partial quote I took from a post some where on the forum while doing my own research.  Plan to send my info here.

"...one place that uses both GK and CK in treating AN patients.  It's the Barrow Acoustic Neuroma Center in Phoenix.  I sent a copy of my MRI to them and had a very helpful conversation with Dr. Peter Weisskopf, one of the few individuals who personally uses both GK and CK treatments for AN patients..."

There's a little more of this quote put I can't remember who I "snagged" it from.  If you want the rest of what I have send me a PM.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

WilliamS

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 06:48:34 pm »
Mike,

I had GK last week Tuesday.  While I am now retired, I could have gone back to work on Friday. Wednesday I spent most of the day flying home and Thursday I spent taking it easy.  Friday I was good enough to work and by Saturday, I felt much better. 
Bill

3.3cm
volume:  15cc
Diag:  1/18/12
GK:     3/20/12
MRI 9/12  3.0-2.8-2.5
MRI 4/13  2.8-2.9-2.3
MRI 4/14  2.7-2.7-2.2
MRI 4/16  2.6-2.2-1.9
MRI 2/20  1.7-1.5-1.2