Author Topic: BAHA "too good to be true" for me!  (Read 4324 times)

mellowrama

BAHA "too good to be true" for me!
« on: February 02, 2012, 05:36:09 am »
For me, the BAHA has only been a major pain in my head and wallet!  After 3 years of having the Baha surgery with very little hearing improvement.  Maybe it REALLY depends on your environment, something to really consider prior to surgery.  Don't expect it to help at all if there is any background noise whatsoever.  For me, I never found hardly any improvement but just more noise in my head.

In addition to constant pain on the side of my Baha, I cannot sleep or lay my head on its side.  Then the troubles of  having the the device repeatedly adjusted and replaced.   I've had staff infection, skins issues/growths, revision surgery (in which I was told the original surgeon Dr. Stanley Baker in OKC did not countersink the post correctly) and now I'm told the titanium post is loose and may have to come out!  More antibiotics and complications from those..  My latest doc say's he never recommends them and in fact, has many people with issues and had to remove them.

SO, in my case it was "too good to be true".  How I wish I had never had this surgery!
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: BAHA "too good to be true" for me!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:57:18 am »
So sorry your road to better hearing has been a major bummer!!  It is incredible all of the wrong things that happened to you.  I would have to agree with how you feel about it now.

For others considering a bone anchored hearing device, please know that yes, wrong things can happen but in the majority of cases, right things happen ..... this is true with whatever treatment route we choose for our ANs, as well.

My thoughts and prayers are that you, mellowrama, will soon see an end to the misery you have endured.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 04:21:24 pm »
Melinda ~

I'm so sorry you've had this unpleasant BAHA experience and your regrets are certainly understandable.  I know many AN patients do very well with their BAHA but, as with all things, one size does not really fit all.  I soldier on BAHA-less and although its a deficit, I find that I can function quite well.  Others are not so sanguine about losing bi-lateral hearing.  In any case, you have our empathy and hopes that you'll be out of the BAHA situation,soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:43:49 pm »
i truly appreciate your post not all have good outcomes to report....thank you for your honesty
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:46:19 am »
Melinda...I am so sorry that you are having so many issues with your BAHA. I initially had an issue with the skin around the abutment not healing correctly.  So they had to remove the abutment and do some strategic movement of my scalp to get everything healed. And THEN putting the abutment back in.  But I am glad to say that things are all better and am experiencing better hearing because of it.  I do hope things go back to normal for you and your suffering will be come to an end, and soon! Take care and hang in there!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 01:53:30 am »
I'm so sorry to hear about your problems.  I have had my share of problems with the BAHA, but not with the abutment or surrounding area. I do hear much better with the device than without and I especially can hear better in a noisy environment. I am wondering if that part of your problem was due to not having the device properly calibrated for you and your needs. I now hear people if they whisper on my deaf side, and could not do that at all prior to the BAHA.  I'm so sorry you have gone through so much and that it hasn't worked for you.  I know it is a very individual thing and everyone has their own personal experience and opinion.  I know I'm much happier with the BAHA than without.  I wish you luck with the outcome of all this.
Cheers,
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Paul F

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 11:11:31 am »
Melinda,
I too am unable to get along with a BAHA and have settled with the Phonak Bi-Cros which seems to help quite a bit.  Sorry you had so many problems, mine were not quite as bad but bad enough.
Paul

mellowrama

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:24:47 am »
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. 
Perhaps I'm venting a bit - but I do think its important for people to know the possible outcomes.
When I first contemplated the BAHA, there really wasn't anything anywhere posted about complications or issues.

Now, not only do I see others posting problems with their BAHA too, but my Dr. claims he treats many other patients with BAHA's complications and he no longer recommends them.  He is recommending the Cross hearing system (sp?) - At this point, I'm not concerned about improving my hearing but eliminating the pain issues from the baha post/abutment, whatever.

Regarding it helping with hearing - it did seem to help, but only in very limited environments. 
For me there is almost always some background noise/music that it would amplify only increasing the sounds in my head, rather than clarity of voice, etc.  This too could be problems with my specific device, which I had replaced and adjusted many times...

22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 11:06:26 pm »
Sorry to hear of your continuing problems with your BAHA.

I, thankfully, have had no noteable issues - with my BAHA site (except for a small infection about 3 months ago) or with my processors (Divino, then a BP100 - except for a very small issue when I first got it). 

I'm almost 4 years post BAHA implant and I continue to feel it was one of the best things I ever did.  The BAHA has helped immensely with my SSD - both in my personal life and in my business life. 

I wish it were the same for you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways