Author Topic: Is this the correct forum to ask questions about facial schwannoma's?  (Read 3220 times)

tjl

I had an MRI done of the brain. It says "Trace minimal enhancement along the tympanic and mastoid facial nerve segments without significant nodularity to suggest facial nerve schwannoma."  So...I dont know if this is saying it is suggesting a facial nerve schwannoma or because there isnt significant nodularity that it isnt suggesting facial nerve schwannoma. I do plan to call my neuro again on Monday to get clarification on this. The terminology definitely could stand to be "dummied down" on these radiology reports for sure. Thanks.

Palace

• Palace
Re: Is this the correct forum to ask questions about facial schwannoma's?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 01:49:55 pm »
Here is a copy/paste from "Google:"

Head and Neck - Scribd
Enhancement along the normal facial nerve ... There may also be enhancement of the tympanic and mastoid segments of the facial nerve ... Facial nerve schwannoma is ...
www.scribd.com/doc/8730433/Head-and-Neck - Cached

I could break-down what you wrote yet, we need to be careful what we say on this forum even if we're experienced.

Keep doing the research and link-up with the doctor/answers.  I used to go on and ask questions with a doctor that would come back within a reasonable length of time and answer the brain-tumor question.  (doctors who handle brain-related patients) 

I'm sure the info to the link is on the forum and one of the moderators will help you ASAP.

Here is a link but, not the one I was refering: 

Ask a Doctor Online Now 18 Doctors Online Now Answer Your Questions In Minutes. Health.eAnswer.com

Pal
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 03:16:04 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Is this the correct forum to ask questions about facial schwannoma's?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 04:02:09 pm »
tjl ~

Welcome! 

The MRI reports are really meant for doctors to read, although the patient has every right (legally) to see them but as you've discovered, they are usually difficult to decipher.  Because an MRI is specific to the patient, one cannot generalize.  Although I believe the report states that you don't have a facial schwannoma, I'm not a physician and cannot offer any kind of 'medical' advice or conclusions.  I suggest that you trust your doctor to explain what the report is actually stating. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.