Author Topic: Pediatric neurosurgeons in the NY/Long Island area  (Read 5790 times)

mchp82

Pediatric neurosurgeons in the NY/Long Island area
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:54:15 pm »
I'm 16, and my neurologist has told us to see a neurosurgeon again (our old one is no longer in our insurance) and I have been told that Dr. Rick Abbott is supposed to be good, working for The Children's Hospital at Montefiore. Can anyone else recommend any other neurosurgeons in the southern NY/LI area, preferably with experience with both Gamma Knife and microsurgery and preferably pediatric, if not then one that has worked on kids around the age of 16?

Thanks for the help,
     Mike.

mk

Re: Pediatric neurosurgeons in the NY/Long Island area
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 11:34:37 am »
Does it have to be a pediatric neurosurgeon? I would assume that there aren't many pediatric neurosurgeons with extensive experience on ANs, and as we all know here, experience is one of the most important factor. If I had a child with an AN I would much rather have a highly skilled and experienced surgical team on skull-base tumors treating him/her, even if they are not specialized in surgery for children, rather than having the best pediatric neurosurgeon with no AN experience.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 11:46:48 am »
Marianna I have to agree with you. You want a skilled pediatric neurosurgeon. I don't know of any other than at House in LA. Sorry that I am not help to you there. Please keep us posted.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:28:27 pm »
When I was at House four years ago my husband and I met the parents of a teenage boy who was there for treatment -- he had NF2 as I recall. I agree with Marianna's statement -- concentrate on the physicians with AN experience rather than a pediatric neurosurgeon who likely has less experience with ANs.

You might want to consider sending your MRI and audiology report to House for their free telephone consultation. I think that most of us who've been to House can vouch for their excellence, and I think a teenager would do just fine with the staff! That being said, there are wonderful AN surgeons/radiosurgeons all across the U.S.

Best wishes as you continue your research!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 02:09:36 pm »
My neurotologist at Univ of Iowa does teenagers with ANs as I have talked to at least 2 in the waiting room.    One was 16 and he did well.   I think the other was a girl and was 15.     I don't think she had had surgery yet, but was.       I know my dr does many cochlear implants on even very young children so would have knowledge of younger anatomy,if there is a difference in a teenager versus an adult.     I would not think much in a teenager while would be in a small child.                                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

JAndrews

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 07:16:40 pm »
Dr. Thomas Roland at NYU--just as highly recommended to me as House was
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

mchp82

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 11:06:48 pm »
Thanks for the plentiful and quick replies here.

I'm looking through the ones that were in the directory and crossing them with the ones in our insurance, but none of the neurosurgeons on the site are in our insurance plan. One of the neurosurgeons was the one who told us to watch it, but that was eight months ago when I didn't even have balance issues, so I'm due for a followup now that I have symptoms.

We'd really prefer not to travel out of state for the procedure, but if it's a must we might.

I'm going to have to do more research on this Dr. Abbott since my mother seems to like him. Thanks guys.

Sheryl

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 07:17:14 pm »
Mike - if there are no pediatric neurosurgeons that are covered under your insurance plan can you appeal?

Otherwise, if you end up traveling out of state, Children's Hospital in Boston is superb and world renowned. 

Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 09:24:53 am »
Mike I know that you have been on FB and just needed to add again it is so important for you to pick a GREAT team especially at your age. You are not going to find any reputable teams on our insurance plans because this is a rare and complex surgery and not many are qualified and insurance companies know this and so do the doctors that do not accept it but they work together and will go out of network and come to an agreement in their fees so do not let this stress you and your mother. I will also send you a FB private message with another thought with the insurance companies as I have worked with them for many years with medical facilities that I have been employed. I also would suggest HEI they seem to work very well with the insurance companies and it would be in your best interest to travel out of state . Ask numerous questions about radiation there are many discrepancies with doing this with a younger person and especially at the age of 16. I do not want to sway you with either one but do all the research possible before deciding.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

mchp82

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 01:23:35 pm »
Got your FB PM a while back Pat, thanks for all the helpful info.

Thank you everyone else.

After looking into it for a while I'd rather go for microsurgery than radiosurgery, but have yet to get my mother to come to a decision about which to look into further before seeing the doctor. We are seeing Dr. Gutin and his team, as well as Dr. Abbott.

Again, thanks for the help everyone.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 09:47:49 am »
Got your FB PM a while back Pat, thanks for all the helpful info.

Thank you everyone else.

After looking into it for a while I'd rather go for microsurgery than radiosurgery, but have yet to get my mother to come to a decision about which to look into further before seeing the doctor. We are seeing Dr. Gutin and his team, as well as Dr. Abbott.

Again, thanks for the help everyone.

Don't worry Mike it will all come together and a decision will be made and it will be the right one but do not let the insurance sway you...I hope I can help in any way possible.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.