Author Topic: Decision Dilemma - Please Help!  (Read 3123 times)

Richard_T

Decision Dilemma - Please Help!
« on: December 31, 2011, 11:38:23 pm »
As I mentioned on my previous (and first ever post), I have been diagnosed with a 2.1cm - 2.2 cm (depending on which OT you ask) AN.  I am new to the forum.  I need your wise and experienced help in a decision I may have to make soon.

Though I am not yet committed to CK as a treatment option, I am leaning to that end on the grounds that I can always have the surgery, but would really like to try to avoid it, if possible (of course, I am overly simplifying these issues to summarize).  I may be moving to the SoCal area within the next 6 months - House anyone?.  If I take a wait and see approach until I relocate, if I have a growth spurt, I could, at least theoretically, work my way out of radiotherapy as an option.  If I delay, at a minimum, I could be living with a larger rather than smaller AN into the future.  This creates a smaller buffer of room and time for brain stem or other impingement if growth resumes.  The problem (which you can guess at this point) is that I could fragment my treatment between a CK locally and then try to "transfer" the monitoring and then possible later surgery to House.  Alternatively, I could travel to Stanford and "transfer" the rest to House or wait (with the above delay problem, which includes time to get situated) and even do GK or CK with House and continue with it for the balance of future treatment.  Of course, I don't like any of these scenarios and prefer to just be able to treat with Chang or House from cradle to grave (no pun intended - sorry trying to maintain some modicum of humor).

Have any of you had similar dilemmas or, at least, traveled to Dr. Chang or House and resumed the balance of treatment locally?  Or have any of you found a way to do the treatment at House or Dr. Chang long distance to some degree? If so, could you please share those experiences with me (and others on this board).  What would you do?

Any help/thoughts are really appreciated during this difficult time (for us all).

Richard

P.S. I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:39:50 am by Richard_T »
1.9 cm x 1.6 cm x 1.8 cm AN diag. 12/09/11
CK at Stanford 1/20/12

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Decision Dilemma - Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 03:03:43 pm »
Hi, Richard - and welcome ~

I haven't experienced your dilemma but it seems to me that one option might be to ask both Dr. Chang's office and House if you could switch your treatment from one to another.  This doesn't seem to be all that complex - but perhaps I'm missing something.  I suggest you contact both medical entities and make inquiries regarding your (potential) treatment.  I also wish you much success in whatever manner you decide to address your AN. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Richard_T

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:42:28 am »
Thank you, Jim.  I agree that it shouldn't be very complex, but to the uninitiated, it is very unclear as to what the protocol is or what people may have experienced.  I appreciate your input.  I will try to get info from both offices as to how best to proceed. 

I would still continue to welcome input from anyone who has even traveled far to be treated whether for radiotherapy or surgery and how that worked for you.

1.9 cm x 1.6 cm x 1.8 cm AN diag. 12/09/11
CK at Stanford 1/20/12

JAndrews

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 02:45:16 pm »
I live in South Florida. I went to House. It was worth it. I had multiple opinions. My tumor was around the size of yours, all of the opinions I had recommended surgery.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 04:41:39 pm »
It's a personal decision; your decision alone.

Education yourself and decide what is right for you.

I was given the choice of surgery or radiation (GK), and although I said I'd "never have surgery" that was ultimately my choice and it was a great one for me.

I didn't go to House - went local - and it was worth it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways