Author Topic: Prisms in progessive lenses  (Read 8729 times)

formula30

Prisms in progessive lenses
« on: September 08, 2011, 03:38:51 pm »
I have been having trouble with my vision, I had gamma knife almost a year ago.  I went to the optomologist and he said one eye is lower than the other..........never seemed to have a problem before, just started wearing glasses a few years ago.  I went back to my optometrist, she said she hadn't noticed anything but hadn't done a specific test since I hadn't complained about double vision.  Now I don't know if its from the tumor, the radiation........or what.  The neurosurgeon told me at my last appointment, this may clear up and don't get prisms in your glasses.........I am now very confused.  Anybody else having trouble???

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
Re: Prisms in progessive lenses
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:52:07 pm »
Hi,
Just wondering about a few things: do you have double vision now?
If yes, have you had double vision since your surgery a year ago or was your vision ok and the double vision is now a new symptom?

Just so you know, I had double vision right after my retrosigmoid surgery in May, and it cleared up on its own after about two and a half months. I'm almost four months post surgery now and the only vision problem I have on my paralyzed side is slight nystagmus when I look in certain directions.f
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 07:06:10 am »
I wear progressive bifocals and I had double vision for about six months after surgery. At about four months post I started wearing a prism on the affected side. In my case it only took about two months and three sets of progressively weaker prisms. I would consult with a neuro-ophthalmologist for a second opinion.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

lynnmader

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 08:33:11 am »
I had retrosigmoid surgery in Dec. 2010 and as soon as I was out of surgery my vision was challenged.  After about 3 months I was finally able to read a book, but have struggled with what I call eye fatigue and eye strain since it's not double vision and I'm not dizzy, but have felt disoriented especially when going to a store where there are multiple things to focus on.  I haven't been able to drive long distances and it's been really a struggle to work on the computer.    The medical team told me to take eye drops, do some eye exercises but nothing has made a difference.   The eye doctor said my vision hadn't changed from a prescription standpoint.   I have bifocals, so I took to wearing my glasses on a chain because they were on and off so many times.
I described it as feeling like it took one eye longer to focus.

Last Thursday I got a new prescription with prisms and I feel like I am 90% back to normal in that area.    What a relief!  Now I'll see if my headaches are less, too.    It's sure worth a try. 
Best to all,   Lynn

I have been having trouble with my vision, I had gamma knife almost a year ago.  I went to the optomologist and he said one eye is lower than the other..........never seemed to have a problem before, just started wearing glasses a few years ago.  I went back to my optometrist, she said she hadn't noticed anything but hadn't done a specific test since I hadn't complained about double vision.  Now I don't know if its from the tumor, the radiation........or what.  The neurosurgeon told me at my last appointment, this may clear up and don't get prisms in your glasses.........I am now very confused.  Anybody else having trouble???
edited only to fix Quote format for ease of reading... nothing more... and welcome! Phyl
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:55:07 am by ppearl214 »

Brewers7

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 10:49:46 am »
Like Tod, I had double vision for about 6 months after my surgery.  I too considered getting prism glasses.  I went to see a neuro-opthomologist who discouraged me from getting them.  She thought that they were very expensive and not worth it.   Eventually the double vision cleared up.  Until it did, I often wore a patch over the bad eye.  I also put tape over the lens of my glasses (on the bad side).  I now wear progressive lens.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 04:26:06 pm »
I should mention that the prisms I used in my glasses were adhesive plastic and not a big cost at all. You might have your optologist look into those.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.