Author Topic: Doctor in Houston  (Read 8639 times)

TOM

Doctor in Houston
« on: October 09, 2009, 06:03:50 pm »
I have been recently diagnosed with AN, so far I have seen one doctor who has recommended surgery within the next 6 months.

Can some one help me with the names of best doctors in Houston for the surgery.

Thanks.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Doctor in Houston
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 11:02:56 pm »
Tom -

search on Houston and you'll find several threads about docs in Houston.

The search box is located in the top lefthand corner of your screen, directly under your user info.

Welcome to the Forum!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 06:31:27 am »
Tom,
I live in the Houston area.  I won't recommend my doctors.  They did a good job, but I think I would have had a better outcome with someone with more AN experience. Patrick, Brian and Boppie have all had great experiences with their doctors.  I am sure they will chime in soon and give you the low down.  Welcome to the forum.  If I can help in any way at all let me know and also we have a great support group here and the next meeting is November 14.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 07:15:43 am »
Tom~
I had my surgery in Houston 13 years ago and my surgeon is not there anymore.  I do know that the guy that starts with a "V" is supposed to be good.  I went thru Baylor College of Medicine and Methodist Hospital...There  are some great people in Houston to guide you along the way - do you live in the Houston area?  We visit Houston quite often as my hubby's family lives there...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

texsooner

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 10:04:31 am »
Tom,

I know there are other good docs/surgeons in the area, but I can highly recommend my ENT/neurotologist/surgeon Dr. Joseph Chang here in Houston. Dr. Chang has a strong track record with AN surgeries. He teams up with a highly regarded neurosurgeon and performs surgeries out of Hermann Memorial Hospital(Texas Medical Center). I had my surgery done 14 months ago and came out in really good shape physically and mentally.

If you want contact information, you can send me a PM or email(listed in my profile).

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 10:32:59 am »
I do know that the guy that starts with a "V" is supposed to be good. 

That would be Dr. Vrabec.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 01:30:15 pm »
thanks Jan... ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 06:01:33 am »
Hi Tom,

I had my surgery last Dec. at Methodist Hospital.  My neurotologist was Dr. Jeffrey  Vrabec, and my neurosurgeon was Dr. Todd Trask, from Baylor.  I would recommend them in a heartbeat.  Dr. Vrabec is open to both surgery and radiation.  Both drs. are easy to talk to and didn't seem to mind my endless questions. :D  Methodist is a great hospital, but I admit my only previous experience was birthing babies!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

TOM

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 06:16:03 pm »
Thanks Patrick, my doctor is Dr. Chang and now I feel very comforatble with him after reading your comment. The size of the tumor is 3.5 cm and I have lost 90% hearing in the left ear.

How long did it take you to recover and did it effect your work once you joined office. What other complication did you have after surgery.

Thanks.

Tom,

I know there are other good docs/surgeons in the area, but I can highly recommend my ENT/neurotologist/surgeon Dr. Joseph Chang here in Houston. Dr. Chang has a strong track record with AN surgeries. He teams up with a highly regarded neurosurgeon and performs surgeries out of Hermann Memorial Hospital(Texas Medical Center). I had my surgery done 14 months ago and came out in really good shape physically and mentally.

If you want contact information, you can send me a PM or email(listed in my profile).

Patrick

texsooner

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 06:37:47 am »
Tom,

Small world. My AN was also 3.5 cm and I had also lost most of my hearing before surgery on that side(left). Dr. Chang was very forthright in explaining all the risks, but he was also confident that I'd come thru it ok(which I did). There was a fair chance that I'd come out of the surgery with facial weakness or some facial paralysis. However, I had only slight facial weakness. My biggest issue post surgery was my eye on the AN side. Because I had some temporary facial weakness, my eye didn't blink that well and I needed to keep it lubricated all the time. This got much better after about 3 months. Today, I still don't produce tears in that eye, but I only have to use eye drops a couple of times a day. The only other thing I have is tinnitus on the AN side, but I've learned how to block this out most of the time.

As far as recovery after surgery, mine was pretty good. I had surgery on a Monday and went home that Wednesday morning. Friday of that week, I started walking around the neighborhood. At about 3 weeks I started running again(2 or 3 miles). I went back to work for half days a month after the surgery...did that for a couple of weeks before returning back to full days. I work in an office and commute about 30 miles each way. I did notice my concentration level wasn't quite the same in the beginning, but I'd say after about 8 weeks, I was pretty much all the way back on the focus and concentration level.

I don't want to make any of this sound easy, because it's not....but having a positive attitude and great doctors(like Chang) will go a long ways towards your recovery and back to normal life. Like Brenda stated, it would also be good for you to attend the support group meeting here in Houston in November. You can learn a lot from the guest speaker(s) and other people that have been through this.

Also, I'm not sure which neurosurgeon Dr. Chang is working with these days, as the one that teamed with him on my surgery has moved to Denver. If you don't know this, you should find out who the neurosurgeon will be and also go talk to him/her about his/her experience with AN surgeries. I always made a list of questions to ask at each doctor appt. If you can, take somebody with you for your discussions with the doctors...my wife was invaluable support to me for this as I would not necessarily remember everything that was said.

If there's anything else I can help with, let me know.

Patrick

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 10:20:58 am »
Tom,
It must be a Texas thing.  My AN was 3.5, but I retained 100% of my hearing until the surgery.  The only "symptom" was horrific balance, which is still a problem four years later.  Goes to show, no two are alike!!  I wish you the very best journey and remember we are here for you whenever you need us.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

aran

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 06:51:48 pm »
I'm 38 years old and have been suggested surgery. I met doctors in MG-Anderson.  Please kindly share your experience at MG-Anderson if any. Appreciate it .

spgreenfield

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 11:18:20 am »
@ BrendaLu-

Your post is encouraging!  My AN isn't as large, and I'd really like to retain all my hearing - especially since it's not been affected by the AN yet!  Balance is horrible as facial numbness....but hearing is AOK!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12