Author Topic: Ishiyama/Martin - UCLA  (Read 3387 times)

Heresrose

Ishiyama/Martin - UCLA
« on: October 28, 2011, 05:09:50 pm »
I was diagnosed two days ago and would like to know if anyone here had their surgery at UCLA with these docs and your opinions.

Thanks
3.2 x 2.1 x 1.5 partially removed via Translab on 11/28/11 w/Friedman & Schwartz of HEI, SSD, facial nerve intact but have facial paralysis and synkenisis.
3/4/14 MRI shows 3mm AN growth.
AN now is 1.7cm
4/11/14 CK Stanford with Drs. Chang and Gibbs

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Ishiyama/Martin - UCLA
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 05:51:08 pm »
Hi Heresrose and welcome to this forum .....

I did not have these doctors at UCLA and do not know anything about them.  I had my surgery last May at St. Vincent's Hospital in Los Angeles (through House Ear Clinic) with Dr. Rick Friedman and Dr. Marc Schwartz.  Top notch team and I had excellent results!  Could not be happier that I went that route.

Best wishes.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Heresrose

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 12:19:08 am »
Thank you, Clarice. I will be consulting with Friedman on Monday.

Rose
3.2 x 2.1 x 1.5 partially removed via Translab on 11/28/11 w/Friedman & Schwartz of HEI, SSD, facial nerve intact but have facial paralysis and synkenisis.
AN now is 1.7cm

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 11:51:19 am »
Hi Rose .....

Oh, I am so glad you will be seeing Dr. Rick!!  He is not only an excellent surgeon, but he is a wonderful and very caring person, as well.  Tell him I said "hi."

Let us know what he says.

Clarice

BTW, how large is your tumor and what are your symptoms?  It helps others on here to know.  Thanks.
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 03:24:03 pm »
+1 for Friedman and Schwartz... best care I have ever received was from them.

Best of luck to you :)
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

Heresrose

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 09:30:12 pm »
My tumor is 3.2 cm. Within the last month I noticed increased tinnitus and decreased hearing in my left ear. I went back to the ENT doc I went to five years ago for the tinnitus, was sent for a hearing test and was told I had lost 76% of my hearing in the left ear and that I have nerve damage.  An MRI confirmed AN.

I'm going through the grieving process now. I am still in shock and can't quite believe that this happening to me. I am also very angry because according to the records i picked up from the ENT, five years ago my ABR was abnormal which means an MRI was indicated. My doc never contacted me or requested an MRI and I went on with my life believing i just suffered from tinnitus. My hearing was normal back then.

So although I know I should focus on getting treated, I am angry because the neglegence of this doc has resulted in hearing loss and I will have to undergo invasive surgery.

The UCLA team wants to do translab because of the size of the tumor and the minimal hearing remaining in my ear. I'll see what the HEI docs have to say.

Rose
AN now is 1.7cm