Author Topic: Daisy-Head Mayzie is back!  (Read 4580 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Daisy-Head Mayzie is back!
« on: October 09, 2011, 10:17:01 pm »
I am back!  ;D

I missed you folks…  :-*  it has been a while since I was on the forum. Truth is once I got my Baha I have been so busy getting out there in the world, hearing from both sides   :o of my skull after 3 + years of being single sided deaf that I am even going to committee meetings, dodging traffic as a pedestrian with confidence, going to the symphony again… leaving me little time to get on the forum. Basically I am making up for the lost 3 + years of no hearing. (I did not get the directional hearing back  but who cares with the Baha I can now hear from that side of my head again- so cool! 8) )

It is 4 + years since the big ole brain booger came out and I can honestly say I DO have my energy back now that I once had pre-tumor diagnosis.

Balance was regained, hearing was returned through high tech bionic means, (headaches stopped after the Baha implant I think because the nerves were numbed) energy returned. The synkenisis face still is the last remaining remnant of that big ole 4+cm brain booger… so life is good. Time does heal.

The synkenisis face takes time patience, and space to do the therapy every day… that I just don't have that luxury with 2 teenagers on-the-go right now… Later maybe?

How are you all doing?
My old buddies:
Kaybo. Jan, Satman (old Super 8cm), Jim Scott, Pearly Whites, Yard Tick, Jackie, Moe,  Jeff, donnalynn, Lori, Pooter, Captain Deb, LA David,  Cheryl R,  Greg M, Joef our crazy kayak-er,  Nancyann, Lorenzo our Irish coffee drinker, Linny,  Boppie, Crooked Smile,  Annamarie,  OMG 16,  Gennysmom,  Soundy,  Denise2boys, … I am sure I have missed a few other key names from the old days here.

It has been ages since we have connected. Last week I saw my very first time ANA buddy, who I called from the WTT list before my surgery, Marg… It was so cool  8)  to have a reunion after all these years. She looked good, had great balance. Yup healing does happen! You should have seen the look on her face when I let her try my Baha with that little sample stub that comes with the kit… I think she said, “OMG! The quality of the sound is fantastic!”  :o

So many new comers and threads on the forum now  :o - I don’t know where to start… so hard to catch up.

So who all went to Cincinnati this year? Any pirates? Is there a forum link with pics you can direct me to? I was on university campus tours this summer with our high school senior as she will be in college next fall - already. I just could not justify attending (or budgeting) the symposium in this year when I had such a short window to see campuses with her over the summer. But I hope to get to the one in LA.

Now that the rainy season has started here in the Pacific Northwest… DHM is back.

I missed you guys!

HUGS

DHM

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:53:07 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Kaybo

Re: Daisy-Head Mayzie is back!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:52:02 am »
DHM-
Good to see you back & that you are enjoying your BAHA so much!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 11:38:09 am »
Daisy Head Mayzie, so good to hear from you as wondered how you were doing.       Do you know the next symposium in 2013 is in LA?            I did go to this years with a few others from years past and new ones.         It was good as usual.        I am doing the same, no new tumors and good hearing since 2008 on my left and none on my right so do have to put up with the SSD.      The no balance nerves and lucky that get by there except issues under some conditions.    Enjoying my granddaughters and the oldest just turned 8 and her sister is 4 1/2.
    I hope finding a college goes well for your daughter and so good to hear that you are doing SO WELL!      That is super!                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 03:22:18 pm »
Hi DHM, and welcome back!

I'm so pleased to learn that since your BAHA installation you've been able to get back into the swing of things - with a vengence, it seems!  That's a good thing!  :)

As always, folks come and go so, yes, you'll definitely see a lot of 'new' names and probably miss some of your 'old friends' on the forums.  It's part of the cycle as folks receive their scary AN diagnosis, then find the ANA site and seek information and support, eventually have their treatment, recover and move on with their lives.  We understand that.  If you're a fully recovered AN patient with few or no issues, there isn't a lot of need for these forums except as a social connection.  However, a few of us 'old timers' still hang around to help 'newbies' and advance the ANA website membership in whatever small way we can.  I'm equally pleased to learn that, four years post-op, you're doing great, too.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts in the near future. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kerijacobs

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 03:27:59 pm »
Welcome back! One of these days I'd like to get a BAHA as well. I'm glad it's working out so well for you!

Keri

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 09:29:39 pm »
Hi DHM. I wondered how you were doing and and happy to hear things are going so well.

There are a bunch of us meeting on Facebook now as well. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll give you names to search for.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 04:44:23 am »
How are you all doing?
My old buddies:
Kaybo. Jan, Satman (old Super 8cm), Jim Scott, Pearly Whites, Yard Tick, Jackie, Moe,  Jeff, donnalynn, Lori, Pooter, Captain Deb, LA David,  Cheryl R,  Greg M, Joef our crazy kayak-er,  Nancyann, Lorenzo our Irish coffee drinker, Linny,  Boppie, Crooked Smile,  Annamarie,  OMG 16,  Gennysmom,  Soundy,  Denise2boys, … I am sure I have missed a few other key names from the old days here.

:)
HUGGLEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 08:17:27 am »
Many of oldies but goodies are on facebook too.    Are you on there?       Keeps some of the non AN chatter off here.                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 08:20:43 am »
Ok ,I now read the rest of todays posts to see Saralynn also has mentioned this!     Anyone here is welcome there too.                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 06:52:23 pm »
Daisy-Head Wench!
Good to hear from ye out there on the left coast!  I've been AWOL meself--pirate invasion of Cincy was scarce wivout yer dear Capt, but she was in Sick Bay (again!)

Feelin' waaaay better-just walked out on my deck and had a peep at the full moon shinin' o'er the beautiful Core Sound of the Outer Banks--aaaaahhhhh.........Just as Blackbeard prolly did 250 years ago in these parts.  Haven't run into his ghost yet, but any day now......

Congrats on the Bahahahahahahah!!!!!  Must be great to get some hearing back.  My headaches seem to have departed save for an occasional whopper which respond well to these new Sumavel DosePro pen thingies which my GP has been getting me from her drug rep for FREE.  Haven't had any Botox for almost a year.

You can catch up wiv me latest shenanigans on the thread I started.

Great to see you posting, wench!!!!

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 05:47:31 pm »
Welcome back ... I have been bouncing back and forth as life allows ... as far as trying to catch up ... I gave up ...I just ump in somewhere and start paddling

Congrats on the BAHA ... I have been having problems and losing some hearing in my one hearing ear ... makes parking lots scary  ... and people sneak up on me and make me jump ... to be fair they don't really sneak up on me but it sure seem like it
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery