Author Topic: Surgery Update  (Read 3355 times)

HeidiC

Surgery Update
« on: October 17, 2011, 07:53:19 pm »
My surgery was Oct 6th and I felt well enough that I ccan now give an update. :)

Typing is slow, so forgive mistakes!  The surgery took aboou 11 hours and went well.  I had been moved out of the ICU but theyl decided to move me back when my sodium and insulen wern't doing well.  I don't rememmber the first couple of dys after the surgery, but I guess I can't say that wouLd be a bad thing LOL!  I was in ICU for 5 days and released from a regular room for home on the 12th.

I am doing well.  Not as dizzzy as I feared I would be.  Bad headaches at first,prob cause of the lumbar drain, but its not bad now.My eyes dont really seem to be working together, not really double vision but just not working together.  I have some weakness on the left of my face that developed a ffew days after the surgery, but the drs feel it will resolve itself.  I found myself sitting up a bit more in the last day or two so that is nice. I feel a bit better every day.  Im not vomiting but it hurts in the middle of my chest when i eat...maybe from the breathing tube being in for so l ong during the surgery.  And stuff doesnt taste right especally on the left so its been hard tp find stuff i want to eat.  scrambled eggs and toast go down well.

I hpe it comes through...i wantto say how well i feel i am doing.  There are a few things, but overall i am pleased and feeling a bit better every day.  Tha nks for everyones guidance through this tough time and I will be updating again. :)

Heidi
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

PaulW

Re: Surgery Update
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 05:15:43 am »
Congratulations Heidi on your successful surgery.
May you have a very speedy full recovery.
One question if I may, I know it maybe a little soon? Did they manage to save your hearing?

Take care

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 06:25:24 am »
Congrats Heidi on continuing to improve daily.. good news after surgery is always good to hear.. I have mine next Thurs. (27).. so am getting anxious.. I have appt with surgeon tomorrow for final analysis and new MRI,, I hate those things!!
I wish you well and hope each day does get better,, I am having translab as far as I know, for a 2.8 cm tumor,, I hope headaches and dizziness go away..
Best of luck and thanks for letting us know how you are doing,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

HeidiC

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 08:10:01 am »
Yes they did save my hearing, Yay!

I am using a walker, but I think I could manage without it especially around the house.  I'm not lookin g forward to the 2 hour ride to my follow up appt tomorrow.

I wanted to add how great my family has been.  My sister, brother in law, and her kids stayed with the kids and left a couple of days after.  They had a great time keeping the kids busy...going to the fair and zoo etc.  My husband has been totally helpful.  Makes me whatever food I ask for, gets the shower going, anything I need.  And tons of ice, I can't seem to get a drink thats cold enough LOL.  And coke tastes awful, hopefully that goes away soon, I love coke, normally its a treat.

My husbands Army command has been great as well.  They gave him 30 days leave from deployment for this and have told him to just keep them updated in case I need more time before I will be able to drive and take care of the kids on my own.

~Heidi
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 08:37:35 am by HeidiC »

schmidtkat

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 08:55:24 am »
Hi Heidi,
It's so good to read of your successful proceedure and support you continue to have during recovery. Thoughts and prayers ~ Kathy from Iowa :)

New girl

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 09:07:00 am »
Glad to hear you are at home on on the mend.  Hang in there!  :)
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 04:20:28 pm »
Heidi ~

Great update!  Thanks for sharing your recovery story here.  We appreciate it - and hope things will continue to improve.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Chances3

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 10:58:47 am »
Hi Heidi,

I had you in my prayers on Oct. 6th.  You're on your way to healing now, it will take time.  Great to see you can post.  Stay in touch.

God Bless !

HeidiC

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 04:19:47 pm »
Had a check up today.  They scoped my throat and it is a little read but fine, they thinks its acid reflux and they upped my nexium which helped a a lot.  I am going to start some vestibular therapy...Dr though I woukd be ok without it but since we are on a time frame of sorts he thought it might be a good idea.

I was able to get around more today...probably since I was able to eat better I think.  Things are going well!

~Heidi

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 05:31:09 pm »
Heidi .....

So glad you are making good progress.  Great that the increased Nexium is helping.

Glad you are doing the vestibular rehab.  True that you may not need it per se, but it will most certainly speed up the process.  Good that you are having this.

Thoughts and prayers continue .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011