Author Topic: 50/50  (Read 7481 times)

gringadactyl

50/50
« on: October 08, 2011, 03:29:27 pm »
Has anyone seen this movie?  Reactions?

I went by myself in case I lost it, which I did.  I have a hard time with cancer movies and generally avoid them (even though I know AN's not the same as cancer, there aren't really any AN movies... are there?).  My AN was in 2003 but I feel like all my emotions are coming up this year again and I feel stupid for that, like I should be over it. 

But I like the actors and I'm 29 so I'm in the target demographic, and I thought it would be interesting.  So I went by myself and spent most of the movie going "uh, huh, I felt just like that," and then right before he goes into surgery, I just lost it entirely, because that moment, with my parents by my side being wheeled into what would be 18-hour surgery, was probably the scariest moment in my life.  And I want now to share it with someone but I still feel kind of stupid and feel like no one wants to know.  So.... yay internet!

Thanks!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: 50/50
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 10:31:23 pm »
I never heard of the movie until you brought it up. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

For other forumittes here is the movie trailer link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeh5YXotTTM

You have my curiosity up now.

Oh I think I will probably loose it if I watch this and will only take someone with me who is cool with that possibility... or go alone  :'(. It looks like a tissue box office admission type film. Once I have seen it I will  get back to you and then comment.

Thanks again for bring this movie to our attention. You might get some good dialogue going here.

DHM :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:33:55 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Mickey

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 05:19:30 pm »
You are very brave young people! Certain experiences in one`s life tend to make them stronger and wiser...Best wishes, Mickey

mikemp

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 06:14:15 pm »
And I want now to share it with someone but I still feel kind of stupid and feel like no one wants to know.

Yeah, yay internet is right. I'm here because of a neuroma, but five - no six - years ago I was in a cancer forum 'cuz I had a stage 4 aggressive lymphoma. These forums are terrific. You can find lots of information and support, and equally importantly, you can give back. Lots of times when life sucks it really helps to give back. And if you hang around long enough you learn that there are sincere folks here who really do care to hear what you have to say, no matter what it is you say. Because we've BTDTHTTS...

I hadn't heard of 50/50 either. Now I'll go look for it, so thanks.

I beat the cancer, btw.

Mike

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 04:26:41 am »
Yeah, yay internet is right. I'm here because of a neuroma, but five - no six - years ago I was in a cancer forum 'cuz I had a stage 4 aggressive lymphoma. These forums are terrific. You can find lots of information and support, and equally importantly, you can give back. Lots of times when life sucks it really helps to give back. And if you hang around long enough you learn that there are sincere folks here who really do care to hear what you have to say, no matter what it is you say. Because we've BTDTHTTS...[/b]

I hadn't heard of 50/50 either. Now I'll go look for it, so thanks.

I beat the cancer, btw.

Mike

Mike,
No we don't. We're just here for the food and value added entertainment ;)  (thank you for the kind words for all of us that have hung around here for a wee-bit, as my bloke would say!).  BTW, Cancer survivor.... it's got such a lovely ring to it!  Congrats! :)  Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

luvzmutt

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 09:56:55 am »
I have heard of this movie and I agree it's probably a "see it on your own".

On a related note, Martina McBride has a new album out, and the second song released is called "I'm Gonna Love You Thru It".  I cry like a baby everytime I hear it.  The video is also very powerful.
Right side AN diagnosed 7/10 - 6.1 mm x 7.8 mm
1st follow-up MRI 1/10/11 - 0.9 x 0.3 x 0.4 cm
2nd follow-up MRI 7/11/11 - 1.0 x 0.7 x 0.6 cm
Follow-Up 12/20/11 - no noticeable change
MRI 11/26/12 - .5x1.0x.6 cm
MRI 10//21/13 - 0.8 x 1.0 x 0.7
Some hearing loss AN side and tinnitus
NF1 & optic glioma

gringadactyl

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 08:10:40 pm »
Aw thanks guys!  Still finding my way around but I think that kind of encouragement is just what I was looking for.   ::)

jennifer7

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 10:59:28 am »
I'm waiting until I can watch it alone at home :-[
retrosig 2/10/10 1.2cm
headaches, facial weakness, tinnitus
hearing preserved :)

jilljpower

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 07:50:02 pm »
Oh my gosh... I had the same emotional reaction at the movies.  So many feelings popped up that I didn't have a chance to deal with while I was going through the experience of finding out about the tumor and going through surgery.  I guess that means it was a good movie, right??? ;)  I have to say that the tears ended up being a great emotional release.  I am proud to have had this experience first hand because it has made me stronger and more compassionate.  A better person all around.  Cheers to that in all of us. 
Take Care, Jill
4cm AN, debulked 6/22/09 Redwood City, CA Kaiser.  1 gram platinum gold weight in eyelid.  Nerve intact, but full facial paralysis.  Cross Facial Nerve Graft- 2step process 11/2011 and 7/2012.  Try blogging, it has been great therapy for me.  www.jilljoyousjourney.blogspot.c

gringadactyl

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 10:26:03 pm »
 :)

stephanieH

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 11:35:40 pm »
I love movies because they temporarily distract me.  I saw the trailer to 50/50, and it looks like a movie that I'll want to see some time in the future.  Just now, I feel like I'm barely hanging on.  I thought I had an appointment with MD, but they say I need a new work up first b/c my scan from last May was clean.  So basically I have to have an MRI that shows something significant, or I can't be seen there.  Now I've got to go back to the original brain guy, and say, "sorry I asked you to send my file to another doctor, but would you mind ordering one more MRI for me?"  I felt horrible.  I just don't know what the protocol is for saying stuff like, "excuse me, but I think I've found someone else to take over where you left off."   I've been wanting to get an MRI for two weeks, b/c I'm just certain there's stuff going on in my good ear, but I'm having problems with scheduling, getting records transferred, trying to figure out what my life will look like without noise (I know that I'm jumping to conclusions).  I wish I could see a doctor.  I'm trying to pray for peace, but it's so hard when you don't know.  And, I'm trying to have these conversations, make these requests, while I'm at work, and lately I can barely function. 

I noticed cognitive issues after my first AN surgery in 2009, and it seems sometimes like it's getting worse.  I know that part of it is stress with my job and my age.  I'm wondering how so many of ya'll go back to work, and do so well with only one good ear.  It's been 2 years, and it's still challenging for me, and there have been days that it's overwhelming.  I have to unplug the Coke machine when we have meetings in the "kitchen," otherwise I can't hear a thing.  I can't quit my job becuase I need the income and the insurance.  But God, I am so tired.  When I think about having to go through surgery again, it makes me cry.  When I think about not being able to hear my grandkids speak, I wonder how I will ever deal with that.  It seems unbearable.

Sorry for the rambling.  I'd appreciate hearing from anyone out there who continues to work, and the things that get them through the day.    Also, if any one knows how to have a delicate conversation with your surgeons about changing course/surgeons, I could use a few tips.  Thanks
Stephanie

1 cm AN, 2009 translab (left), Austin, TX.