Post-Treatment > Cognitive/Emotional Issues

Memory loss post surgery

<< < (3/8) > >>

Mei Mei:
Dear Heather,
I just found another example on my Facebook messages that I don't remember writing at all.   I am very embarrassed by it and how could I have typed such nonsense?    Someone at the Symposium said this was happening to her and many in the room agreed.

December 22Seroun Mei Mei Wang
Hi Mami,
I think of you so much and wonder hare you are different in your album . It's anise keeping up with old friends this. I hope you are having a peace fellow Christmas and a most happy new year!!!!.

pjb:
Your not alone and if you need to vent this is the place for it...You just learn to compensate for the new "US" and it's not so bad once you know where your having the most problems we just take a little longer and have to really focus and my motto is that does help "It could have been worse" and thank goodness it wasn't does help on those bad self pity days...

Rich D:
 :D

Hi Heather and everyone;

I had a 1.2 cm AN removed surgically in Feb 1995.  Yes, 1995.   I lost my hearing in my left ear and my balance nerve on the same side.  Immediately after surgery, I noticed that my short term memory was not the same.  I had to take detailed notes at meetings to remember the details clearly.   Now, at 64 years old, I am questioning my perceived decline in short term memory loss.  Example:   I fully engage in a conversation with my wife about an upcoming family event on a Tuesday evening, but by Wednesday or Thursday, I don't remember it at all, until she reminds me of some of the details in our discussion.  Then, I remember the details.   I have recently gone to see a Neuro-psych doctor to see if my perceived change is the result of aging, the beginning of dementia, or just the same old AN post treatment effect.  Does anyone else have a similar experience?

MDemisay:
Dear Heather, Rich D and others who have commented here,

It is quite common to have these symptoms of supposed forgetting.....In 2004, After my operation, I placed myself in Kessler Rehabilitation in NJ for 3 weeks I was seen by a Neuropsychiatric doctor and given a battery of tests they determined that I had suffered a traumatic brain injury and I received along with my therapy tools with which I am able to cope.

Some tools I still use today....and it is useful to use them....I use a calendar to mark off dates that I do not want to forget, I use my phone to list people by alphabetical order and I constantly write notes to myself that I put in my pocket, needless to say I go around all day long pulling notes out of my pockets...

I have one nagging problem though, I am so occupied by these little things that I let the big things like anniversaries, or birthdays for other people slip by!

It is very frustrating sometimes but if it doesn't make it into my calendar it's not on my radar......

The therapist said to keep lists and this is helpful....but with time you learn to adapt and if an event slips by, I always try to do better next time. I don't beat myself up about it as much as I used to.

This is the new me! Learn to cope......

Mike

jennifer7:
I hate the forgetfulness, even with lots of lists and calendars (I love my phone it helps so much) its difficult. For me when I'm put on the spot I cannot remember a name, even my children's at times. Or thoughts get lost so fast, I can't type fast enough to get it down before its gone.
"Traumatic brain injury", I guess that makes sense. Sorry to hear 17 years later it still bothers you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version