Author Topic: BAHA revision surgery  (Read 3850 times)

mellowrama

BAHA revision surgery
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:58:00 pm »
After almost 2 years of pain/issues I went to Dr. Horn in ABQ and he did a revision to my BAHA site...it is healing up nicely.   I've been diligent about cleaning the site with 1/2 water and hydrogen peroxide and using antibiotic ointment. 

I sure wished my initial BAHA doc (Stanly Baker of oklahoma city) said more about cleaning, AND I wished he done a better job with the implant.  Evidently, the post was not set flush with my head, or as my new doc also said it was not concaved as it should have been...which caused issues with the skin and leaking and healing...Dr. Baker kept telling me that it looked good and nothing was wrong. 

I wonder if anyone else has ever had this problem?  My new doc said that he thinks he fixed the problem with the revision but it still could be a problem that would result in removing the post.

My head feels soooo much better now, I can yawn without feeling like its gonna break open!
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: BAHA revision surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 01:24:04 pm »
Hi, Melinda ~

I'm pleased to learn that you've finally succeeded in resolving your BAHA implant problems (by choosing a different doctor.)  Unfortunately, Although we don't like to think so, some physicians are simply superior to others, despite having relatively equal education, training and experience.  This is a fact of life in just about any field of endeavor but we tend to put a lot of trust in our doctors and when they prove less than stellar, its always a disappointment.  However, what's important now is that your implant is healing nicely and you feel much better.  I trust this implant attempt will end well this time and you'll be enjoying the benefits of your BAHA in a few more months.   Please keep us updated.  Thanks.

Jim     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 02:49:28 am »
Hi Melinda...I was definitely interested in your post, as I had a myriad of issues with my BAHA post-surgery...there's a thread in here about all that, but long story short...I had the first surgery, the site did not heal right (it sort of split open, then had a nasty oozing scab). Had the scab yanked off, a second surgery to move my scalp around to get it to heal (thus covering the implanted post), then another procedure to once again uncover the post and put abutment back in.  As of now, a little over a month later, I am using my BAHA processor (and loving it), and the skin seems to be healing pretty well.  I think I need to start putting ointment on it though, there's on area that's been scabbing pretty good and gets a little thick. But all in all, things are going well.  I am glad you got some resolution to your problem, although I am glad I didn't go two years like you did (more like 2 months).  Take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

mellowrama

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:18:08 am »
After the latest follow-up with my surgeon the revised baha site is doing well...although I don't think it's as it should be still...with skin growth and pain issues.

The doc questioned me "who did this" as the problem is the post is not counter-sunk into my skull and seems like it will always be a potential problem unless its removed.
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011