Author Topic: New Englanders ??  (Read 3241 times)

Pattilouwho

New Englanders ??
« on: August 17, 2011, 02:01:13 pm »
Hi Everyone -

My first post......been reading for a while though. I am learning a lot on this forum, but still have lots to learn as well. I was wondering if there are any pre / post op Vermonters (New Englanders) out there that are going through this....Mine was discovered almost 5 yrs. ago. I've been in wait and watch that long. I knew something was wrong because I noticed my balance was off....spoke to GP about this and he thought maybe I had bleeding on the brain since I'm on coumadin (polmonary emboli 12 yrs. ago), had a CS and although the tumor was right there in black and white, radiologists were looking for bleeding, not a tumor (although, I really think the technicians should have seen this tumor), so my Doc sends me a letter in the mail saying, nope, no bleeding, everything looks fine......a few months later, I go into Dr.'s office again and see someone else, I mention my C-Scan and my worries and she says "are you ready to take it to the next level", I say yes, maybe it's a tumor - she says "NO, don't worry"....haha - I'm a big believer in "Know Your Body" and listen to it's signs !!!  Went to see nurologist, and says "Yep, somethings not right" - ?? Really ?? - MRI schedule and there you have it - AN ...  Saw Dr. in Burlington and then 2nd opinion in Mass General (McKenna) - Wait and Watch !! Every year had MRI's and would get a letter back from GP office saying "minimal growth" or "slight change" or "slight increase in size"........finally I said "What does that mean", how much has it grown from the time it was discovered to NOW !!!  Low and behold - almost doubled in size...not sure of the exact size, but somewhere now about 2.5 - 3 cm !!  I met with Dr. Barker at Mass General (first questions he asked me was "why did you wait so long"........W H A T !!!  I'm not the Doctor here.....I've done what I was told to do.....Anyway, I'm going to have surgery sometime in January - I wanted to have it when it was convenient for myself and my family and my job...still have to make plans on what do I do from here.....I feel really confident about my doctor selection and have read (here on forum) excellent things about Mckenna and Barker...I hope, I've made the right choice, but then again, we really don't know what to expect (nor do they) until we're there....in surgery and then after surgery...I've felt a lot of the emotions that many of you have posted about, it's comforting to know, I'm not alone.....but it's still very scarey reading some of post op problems .....man-o- man - it keeps me up at night !!

Surgery scheduled for 2/10/2012 - McKenna/Barker @ Mass General
 2 cm left side / 90% of hearing gone / balance isn't too bad, worse in the morning!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New Englanders ??
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 02:48:15 pm »
Hi ~

Welcome to the ANA discussion forums.  You seem to have a relatively good grasp of your AN situation and your doctors, to best of my knowledge, are top-notch.  That you were led to believe your AN had only slight growth over 5 yeas until you probed for more information and found that it was now large and required surgery is definitely a cause for dismay.  However, you have to go forward from here and it's clear that you have.  Your concern over potential post-op problems is certainly valid but I urge you not to allow those concerns to consume you as you wait for the Big Day.  I'm sure the doctors will do all that they can to avoid complications from the surgery and as you know from reading the forums, many AN patients with large tumors (mine was 4.5 cm) have excellent outcomes.  I'm pleased to state that I'm one of them - and not the only one, by a longshot.  As you know, we offer information, advice and most of all, support to AN patients.  Please keep us updated on your situation.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 04:04:43 pm »
Welcome to the forum!

I remember how flustered I was when I was taken off "watch-and-wait " and told it was time for treatment (after only 1 year). I opted for surgery with McKenna/Barker. That was 5 years ago.

You're in good hands. While no one can offer any guarantees, I can say that I came through surgery with no side effects (after the recovery period) other than deafness on the AN side, which was a known outcome of the surgery.

Please feel free to ask any questions you like about the surgery/recovery. Everyone wants to help!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 04:57:37 pm »
Patti .....

I am not a New Englander, but I wanted to welcome you to this forum.  This forum is made up of very caring, kind, supportive people.  All of whom have walked a similar path that you have.

Please feel free to ask any and all questions ..... there is no shortage of replies on here.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Pattilouwho

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:57:37 am »
Thank you Jim, krbonner and CHD63 - I've seen your replies before........always warm and welcoming  :)
Surgery scheduled for 2/10/2012 - McKenna/Barker @ Mass General
 2 cm left side / 90% of hearing gone / balance isn't too bad, worse in the morning!!