Author Topic: Dry nose?  (Read 12231 times)

mk

Dry nose?
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:26:31 am »
I wasn't sure where to post this topic, so I will try in facial issues.
Has anyone experienced dry nose after surgery? Is it somehow associated with facial nerve weakness?
To be specific, I notice that my right (AN side) nostril is very dry, especially at nights. To make things worse, and more complicated, I also suffer from allergic rhinitis, with runny nose being the main symptom especially in the mornings, meaning that I use a nasal spray on a regular basis. I am afraid that the nasal spray  compounds the dry nostril problem. To summarize my symptoms are: Runny nose in the morning, obviously due to the allergy. But very dry and "stuffed" nose, especially at night, which often results in minor bleeding. I do have severely dry eye as well, with lack of tears after my surgery. So I am thinking that these two may be somehow related. Any ideas? Tips on how to deal with this?

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Brewers7

Re: Dry nose?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:26:23 am »
As a former nose spray addict, my bet is that it is the spray.  Hard to kick the stuff but it can be done even without a support group.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

JLR

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 07:34:35 pm »
Oh boy me too!! I was addicted to it. I switched to a Saline Solution Spray which really helped.  Of course when I have a cold the saline solution is pretty worthless but nonetheless its better than the good stuff as it is so addicting. The main problem is the dry nose and of course the nose drops make it feel way way better but its so temporary. So just lay off the nose drops and switch to the saline solution and in a short time you will feel better.  Hope this helps, Joan

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 06:00:56 am »
I too suffer from this at night, i find putting vaseline in the nostils helps too keep it moist at night, are you using dry eye drops for your eye esp at night . x
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 07:11:07 pm »
That's a good idea (using Vaseline in the nostrils). I suffer from dry nose and eye. I keep the eye moist all day by using TheraTears eye lubricant (preservative free in the eye) or if I need something slightly thicker, I use Genteal eye gel for severe dry eye. I also put a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch of the gel in my eye before I go to sleep. I was using the Genteal PM ointment for nighttime use but realized it was a combination of mineral oil and white petrolatum, which was making my eyelid and area around my eye break out. So now I just use the gel for severe dry eye, which seems to be working.
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

mk

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 07:26:08 pm »
Recently I started to use an OTC product called "Secaris", feels like Vaseline but not as thick, and it is designed especially for dry nose. It helps somewhat. I had actually tried the switch to the saline solution before I wrote my first message, but this was pretty much a disaster. So I had to switch back to my nasal spray (which I must admit, I haven't been using regularly).
I do use ointment at night (and during the day as needed), as well as tons of drops. I am pretty sure all these problems are interconnected ....

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Brewers7

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 09:05:52 am »
I purchased some otc decongestants and slept propped up for a few nights to get off the nose spray.  It really does dry out your nasal passages, if you stay on it.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

HJY

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 07:58:50 pm »
Well this may be TOOO much information but I haven't produced any mucous in my AN nostril since paralysis started!  My neurosurgeon said he didn't know why that was which I thought was odd.  I'm assuming it has something to do with no tear production?  I found in the first few months I had difficulty blowing my nose and even though it was very dry I needed to (without getting too graphic about the contents!).  A saline nasal spray helped me when I had that really awful 'dry' feeling.  It as gotten better and far less uncomfortable - although when I cry I still only get one sided tears and only need to blow my nose on the other side.

The one bonus?  I recently had a cold and it was a blessing that one nostril was completely clear!

Take care, Heather
1.4cm L sided AN removed 6th Dec, 2010 (7 weeks after my 3rd baby was born!)
Surgeons - Proff Marcus Atlas & Dr George Wong, Ear Science Institute, Perth Western Australia
Mid Fossa,Hearing preserved,HB level 6 facial palsy Balance
issues
1st Oct, 2011 - Facial recovery HB 2-3, sudden HL of 30dB