Author Topic: trouble focusing  (Read 4111 times)

formula30

trouble focusing
« on: August 04, 2011, 03:30:28 pm »
I have noticed I am constantly tilting my head in different directions when trying to read or watch TV.  What seems to help the most sometimes is closing one eye.  I used to think it was just when I was tired...........but I notice this is happening all the time now.  Things always seem to be out of focus, not double vision though.  I had gamma done September 21, 2010.........mri's look good so far, some swelling around the third month, and stayed the same after six months.  I took steroids for a while.........but this vision thing seems to be getting worse........any ideas.  Kind of frustrating......... :'(

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: trouble focusing
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 03:40:24 pm »
formula 30 ~

I'm not a doctor but I suspect this may be an eye-related issue.  It may or may not be associated with your AN and the radiation you received.  I just don't know.  I would suggest you consider making an appointment with an ophthalmologist and let him/her perform a complete eye examination to see if there is an eye-related problem.  If not, it may be AN-related and your doctor should be consulted.  I hope you can find the source of the problem and that it is easily correctable.  Please keep us updated.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 08:16:26 pm »
I also had trouble focusing some months ago. I was worried it was because of the AN (mine was quite large) and I even posted a thread. I visited the optometrist and he did a very thorough examination. He didn't see any problems with the eye (nerves etc), but did conclude that I needed a prescription for reading glasses (something that I had been avoiding till then ...). He explained to me that I was overexerting my eye muscles, thus the problems with focusing.
Like Jim, I would suggest that a visit to an optometrist or ophthalmologist is in order - they can look into the eye and tell if it is something neurological, or if you simply need a prescription for eye glasses, or a change in your current prescription.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

formula30

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 05:49:46 am »
I do wear glasses and I am not due for another eye exam until next May???  I do wear progressive lenses..........I have a feeling this is due to radiation but we will see...........just was wondering if anyone else had these problems also.  I will be scheduling an appointment with an opthamologist........thanks for your input.

kathleenanna

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 06:25:07 pm »
I also have trouble with my eyes more than anything else......I wear progressive lenses also, or should I say, I try to wear them.  I get headaches and eye pressure whenever I wear my glasses no matter if it is the progressives or my distance rx......I am ok in contact lenses though.  I have been to opthamologist and she found nothing wrong...I do have dry eye and use drops daily...........just cant figure it out!    KathleenAnna
translab on Sept 15, 2010 at Univ of Penn
2cm AN on left side
ssd
some balance issues

formula30

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:56:34 am »
Well I finally set up an appointment with an opthamologist to find out what is exactly going on.  He said to bring the radiology reports from my mri's.  I will also take my scans, you never know.  I am getting ready to have another mri done.......so we will see.  Hopefully there will be answers.  I do realize that with gamma knife there can be some side effects for quite some time, but knowing they are just temporary will certainly ease my worries. :)