Author Topic: Radiation and x-rays??  (Read 4185 times)

proudmomof3

Radiation and x-rays??
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:24:57 am »
Since I chose Gamma Knife, I am aware that it was a huge amount of radiation soaking into my head/brain area. Though I do know it pinpoints the AN, it is still all over my head.

The question I have is...am I able to have any more radiation such as x-rays, or have I used up my "lifetime" amount? I would think dental xrays, ct scans, and such would be too much radiation. I am already nervous that GK was too much radiation anyway..Just curious to what those that have had radiation think about this?

Thanks!

Cheryl
Right AN - 1.5cm
Diagnosed 3/2011
GK  4/2011
Last MRI 5/13 - 1.5cm
SSD Right Side, Constant Tinnitus, Vertigo, Headaches

Silver Sonnet

Re: Radiation and x-rays??
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 12:08:42 pm »
Hi, Cheryl :)  I haven't had radiation, but I did research it heavily.  When I was younger, I was very prone to pneumonia and bronchitis, and I had numerous x-rays.  When talking about the GK, I was told that I should avoid all but the most critical x-rays in the future.

Since radiation can be dangerous and since none of us ever know what's coming in our futures that might require still more of the stuff, I'd suggest telling any future health-care providers that you've had GK and that you want to avoid all radiation you possibly can.  Most are willing and able to comply:  I went in for some minor dental work the first of the week, and as soona s the dentist heard the word "tumor," he was very happy to skip the x-ray.

Don't stress, but live and learn :)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 05:11:05 pm »
Cheryl .....

I can perfectly understand your radiation concerns.

Many years ago, when I was 13 years old, I had massive doses of "radium" following a routine tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy (nasopharyngeal radium irradiation).  From my doctors, as well as a presentation by a Yale University professor at the recent ANA Symposium, it is almost certain that my acoustic neuroma was caused by these treatments as a child.  At this point in time, the only confirmed cause of some ANs is ionizing radiation.

That being said, the current dose (Gy) of radiation being given via Gamma Knife, Cyberknife, or fractionated radiation is far, far less than what was used even 10 years ago or before ..... and is targeted specifically on the tumor.  Techniques have improved so much that very little normal brain tissue is damaged.  As was explained to us at the symposium, normal tissue can repair itself while tumor tissue cannot.

If I had not had the huge exposure to radiation, I think I would have considered much more seriously going the radiation treatment route.  Since I am now in a "high risk" category, I have the full cooperation with my dentist to hold on all but the most essential dental x-rays.  Given a choice between CT or MRI, I always request the MRI, which has no radiation.  Sometimes we, as patients, inadvertently cause a doctor to order tests when we want answers to health concerns.

I think it is important for all of us to minimize unneeded radiation and therefore I recently purchased a radiation free blue tube adapter to use with my cell phone. 

One other thought ..... if I understood the presenters correctly, exposure to radiation does not keep on accumulating over one's lifetime exactly ...... because the radiation begins to dissipate over time.  It is accumulative but early exposure begins to go away before later doses are added on.  Hope that makes sense.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a better explanation.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

proudmomof3

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 06:01:57 pm »
Cheryl .....

I can perfectly understand your radiation concerns.

Many years ago, when I was 13 years old, I had massive doses of "radium" following a routine tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy (nasopharyngeal radium irradiation).  From my doctors, as well as a presentation by a Yale University professor at the recent ANA Symposium, it is almost certain that my acoustic neuroma was caused by these treatments as a child.  At this point in time, the only confirmed cause of some ANs is ionizing radiation.

That being said, the current dose (Gy) of radiation being given via Gamma Knife, Cyberknife, or fractionated radiation is far, far less than what was used even 10 years ago or before ..... and is targeted specifically on the tumor.  Techniques have improved so much that very little normal brain tissue is damaged.  As was explained to us at the symposium, normal tissue can repair itself while tumor tissue cannot.

If I had not had the huge exposure to radiation, I think I would have considered much more seriously going the radiation treatment route.  Since I am now in a "high risk" category, I have the full cooperation with my dentist to hold on all but the most essential dental x-rays.  Given a choice between CT or MRI, I always request the MRI, which has no radiation.  Sometimes we, as patients, inadvertently cause a doctor to order tests when we want answers to health concerns.

I think it is important for all of us to minimize unneeded radiation and therefore I recently purchased a radiation free blue tube adapter to use with my cell phone. 

One other thought ..... if I understood the presenters correctly, exposure to radiation does not keep on accumulating over one's lifetime exactly ...... because the radiation begins to dissipate over time.  It is accumulative but early exposure begins to go away before later doses are added on.  Hope that makes sense.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a better explanation.

Clarice

Thank you Clarice! You explained that very well. Though I was never told how much radiation I received during Gamma Knife, I would hope it was the "minimal" amount necessary. My dr was not informative about anything so I am pretty much clueless. Thank you for your explanation and response. It was very helpful. Cheryl
Right AN - 1.5cm
Diagnosed 3/2011
GK  4/2011
Last MRI 5/13 - 1.5cm

proudmomof3

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 06:07:03 pm »
Hi, Cheryl :)  I haven't had radiation, but I did research it heavily.  When I was younger, I was very prone to pneumonia and bronchitis, and I had numerous x-rays.  When talking about the GK, I was told that I should avoid all but the most critical x-rays in the future.

Since radiation can be dangerous and since none of us ever know what's coming in our futures that might require still more of the stuff, I'd suggest telling any future health-care providers that you've had GK and that you want to avoid all radiation you possibly can.  Most are willing and able to comply:  I went in for some minor dental work the first of the week, and as soona s the dentist heard the word "tumor," he was very happy to skip the x-ray.

Don't stress, but live and learn :)

Thank you for the information. I am going to "pass" on dental xrays at my appointment. You just never know about these things...
Right AN - 1.5cm
Diagnosed 3/2011
GK  4/2011
Last MRI 5/13 - 1.5cm

mk

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:39:50 pm »
I was wondering the same thing when I went for a dental exam post-GK for a sensitive tooth and the dentist recommended X-rays. I did check it out with my radiation oncologist and he said that dental X-rays cause minimal exposure, so they are not a problem. The dentist agreed. However, he said that given my hesitation, instead of the X-rays he would do some "good old fashion dental examination" (his words). He did, and he diagnosed the problem and treated it. So what I learned from this is that sometimes dentists order X-rays even when they are not necessary. I guess if X-rays are necessary I will do them, but I would still try to avoid unnecessary exposure.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Sefra22

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 04:26:54 pm »
I also had GK, and I only get dental x-rays every 2 years now instead of yearly. I was also concerned about mammograms, but I was told that the facility I use has the lowest possible dose as their equipment is all new. Woman who have had radiation for their tumors may want to ask the question before their next exam.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009