Author Topic: Surgeons  (Read 3317 times)

vsfunkhouser

Surgeons
« on: June 21, 2011, 01:34:57 pm »
I had not planned to go out of the area for my surgery.  I have read that many of you have traveled for your surgery and I wondered if I should be looking at alternative medical facilities.  Dr. Benson was very informative... explaining all of my treatment options and even though he had a recommendation he made it very clear it was "my" choice as to my course of treatment.

I was refered to Dr. Jay Jindal at The Toledo ENT Clinic in Maumee, Ohio.  In return after talkig with me and reading my MRI he sent me to Dr. Aaron Benson (a neurotologist).  He diagnosed and discussed treatment options.  I will return on July 1 for pre-op tests including and ENG & CT and then will meet with the Pat McCormick (neurosurgen).  The surgery is to be performed at St. Lukes Hospital in Maumee, OH 

Has anyone heard of either of the doctors or can you comment on them. 

ThankS!  :)

MNTim

Re: Surgeons
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 07:16:44 pm »
VS,

I have had several procedures and can attest to the convenience of "staying local".  I will add the disclaimer of the number one priority is utilizing a competent surgeon and doing your research.  For my last procedure I went 2 hours away and that causes headaches, pardon the pun, in many situations.

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

skipg

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 08:31:26 pm »
My wife and I had lunch with Dr Theodosopoulos at the Symposium. He is a neurosurgeon at theMayfield Clinic in Cincinnati, and highly experienced with AN surgery. He highly recommends staying close to  home for AN surgery. He said anything can happen during or after surgery and your support network is very important. This did surprise me because so many seem to travel for an surgery. Also he would benefit by people coming to him for surgery. My personal feling is that you must fel comfortable with your choice of treatment, doctors, and location. If after all my research is done and all appear equal, I would agree to the close to home philosophy. I am, for now, watch and wait but I am expolring and resarching all my options in case the time comes when I have to make the decision. I personally agree to "close to home", but I will have to have that comfort felling before anything gets done. I am meeting with a local surgeon this week just to keep on top of my options.
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 12:44:48 pm »
VS -

I stayed local for my surgery and I've never regretted it.  In addition, my outcome was very good - only lasting effect is SSD (single-sided deafness). 

There are those who traveled and it was right for them, but it's not right for everyone and it wouldn't have been right for me. 

Do not let anyone make you feel that you must travel for treatment - or that you must go to one of the "big" names (like HEI).   Nothing personal against HEI, but it's not the be all and end all that some would like you to believe.  Their patients have good outcomes and bad outcomes - just like patients of every other AN facility out there.

As Tim mentioned, and the ANA affirms, one of the main objectives in AN treatment is finding a doctor who is qualified and experienced to treat ANs. 

I agree wholeheartedly with Skip; you must feel comfortable with your choice of treatment, doctors, and locations.  Follow your head and follow your gut instinct.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

vsfunkhouser

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 06:55:44 pm »
Just like to say "thanks" for the input!  I felt good about my first appointment with the neurotoligist... he talked to me about all of my options noting, of course, his bias to surgery because he was a surgeon but told me that he would be more than glad to refer me to someone who did radiotherapy.  I had decided that I did not want to go that route anyway... so I wasn't interested.  I have another appointment on Friday for some additional tests and will get another opportunity to ask questions.  I so appreciate having people who have experienced AN to talk to.  Blessings to all!e\