Author Topic: Baha surgery scheduled for July 29, Good Decision?  (Read 3026 times)

char1957

Baha surgery scheduled for July 29, Good Decision?
« on: June 29, 2011, 07:30:40 pm »
Hi all,
Sorry it's been so long since I've done any talking, but I have been looking in here and there.  My AN surgery was in Feb 10.  Could someone who's been there, tell me that I am making a good decision getting the BAHA?  My appointment went well, but I was not able to leave the portable devise on for very long, as it really hurt my head on the surgery side.  My surgery is being done at Shands (Dr. Patrick Antonelli).  Does it help at all with background noise?  I am trying my best to learn how to be "the NEW me", but some days...
Any info would be greatly appreciated. ::)
2.5 AN right side, diagnosed 12/12/09
Retrosigmoid Surgery 2/8/10
Encompassed 4th-8th Cranial Nerves
Lost hearing and balance w/other deficits
3rd year MRI no regrowth on AN, but found 10mm Menengioma right frontal lobe

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Baha surgery scheduled for July 29, Good Decision?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 08:38:38 pm »
I can't tell you if you made a good decision since I don't know your situation. However, it was definitely the right decision for me. If nothing else, it makes all the meetings I attend at work much easier. Much easier. Most situations are improved for me.

I have no regrets about my Baha....and I show it off whenever I can.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 06:12:59 am »
BAHA implants aren't for everyone, but personally it's been a Godsend for me.  My BAHA has made a huge difference in both my personal and my "business" life.

I've never regretted getting the surgery; in fact, I think it's one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

The surgery was very simple - especially compared to AN surgery - and I had mine without general anesthesia (local only).  My recovery/healing was swift and without complications.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 07:40:42 am »
Hi Char .....

Although I am still awaiting my "turn on" day on August 4th, I had the Ponto Pro (Oticon Medical) abutment implanted on May 11th at the same time as my translab surgery at HEi.  The abutment healed quickly with no difficulties and no pain.  When I scratch the titanium post with my fingernail, I can "hear" it on my non-AN side ..... so I am anxiously awaiting the full sounds when the processor can be attached.

No regrets whatsoever so far.

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 12:14:19 pm »
For me, it has helped with background noise.  I'm so much better now in a noisy environment than I was before.  I had that hard band for a trial, and I could not wear it very long, and I did NOT have AN surgery!  I got them to give me a soft band (like a headband with velcro) and that made a lot of difference.  See if they will let you take it home for a few days.  That will give you a much better idea of how it works for you.  If possible, demo both the Cochlear and the Oticon and see which seems best for you.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego