Author Topic: BAHA connection  (Read 6096 times)

Eva

BAHA connection
« on: July 07, 2011, 04:13:42 am »
Hallo everybody, I got my BAHA processor several days ago (BAHA BP 100). I was surprised that I can hear how the thing is moving in the abutment. I wonder if this is normal or if there is some problem with the connection of processor to abutment. Maybe it is too loose. I would accept it if it happened in a wind but it occurs almost always when I am walking. I can notice it only if there is no bigger noise around. I will appreciate your comments. Thank you. Eva

23 x 18 x 19 mm, May 2007
Retrosigmoid June 2007, Prague,Czech Republic, no complications
Deaf left side, slight ballance problems, tinnitus

ombrerose4

Re: BAHA connection
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 02:40:50 pm »
Hi Eva,

That definitely doesn't sound right. I have my Baha for over a year and have never experienced anything like that. I would first check with your doctor to make sure the processor is fitting correctly and if there is no issue with that then you need to talk to Cochlear and see if there is a problem with the processor.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 04:37:25 pm »
Hi Eva,
That is not what should be happening.  You should be hearing sounds like paper rustling, sheets moving when you make the bed, and small sounds you didn't hear before.  But it should NOT be moving around on the abutment.  When you attach it, does it snap in tight?  Even when I touch mine, it doesn't move on the abutment.  Have your audiologist check the fitting.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Eva

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 01:00:20 am »
Many thanks for your replies. The information is really important for me because in our country there is not much experience with this hearing aid. The doctor told me that I was only the forth one who got it. I have already made an appointment with my doctor – I go to see him on Monday morning. I think there could be something wrong with the abutment. The processor is very loose in it – I can move with it up and down. Well, I hope that the problem will be solved and I will be able to use my BAHA. I have just had the forth anniversary of my SSD recently and was hoping to celebrate it with gaining some hearing back.
Thanks and greetings from central Europe, Eva

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:36:19 am »
Hi Eva .....

So sorry you are having problems with your BAHA.  I truly hope it is the processor that is not fitting correctly.  That should be a relatively easy thing for your doctor (or you) to contact Cochlear and/or trade your processor in for another one that fits correctly.  If it is an abutment problem, it seems like that might be more difficult to fix.

Hoping and praying it is an easy thing to fix.  Let us know.

I am anxiously awaiting being able to attach the processor to my Oticon Ponto Pro.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 02:20:59 pm »
This is definitely not normal and you are smart to follow up with your doctor.

Is the "stem" of your processor lose inside the abutment?  Or it the abutment that is loose?

If it's the abutment that is loose, it may be that it hasn't calcified into your skull yet.  How long after your implant did your doctor let you start to wear your processor?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Eva

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 01:25:57 pm »
Thanks for answers, I am confused about the sounds. It really sounds like if the BAHA is moving in the abutment. But now I am also considering if it could not be just the flow of the air caught by the microphone. I realized that I can hear lower sounds much louder with the BAHA than with my good ear. Maybe that could be why I can hear even faint stream of the air when I walk (if it is the case).  I am sure the abutment sits firmly in my head, I had the surgery 3 months ago and the place seems well healed. Well, tomorrow I will know it the abutment is OK and maybe the doctor will have some idea to explain this.
I have also positive experiences with my BAHA. I was in a pub and when I blocked my good ear I could here very clearly through the BAHA what people are saying around the next table . It was really funny. I am happy to have it.

Eva

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:15:52 am »
The abutment is thankfully OK. So the next step will be visit by my audiologist after my and his holiday in the middle of August. Thank you for your reactions. Eva

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 04:10:14 pm »
Since the abutment is okay, it may be that your processor is defective.

If that's the case it should still be under warranty and they'll replace it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Eva

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 02:30:39 am »
Yes, I consider this possibility also and am prepared to contact Cochlear if the consultation with the audiologist brings no results. It is unpleasant to have this problem instead of enjoying the BAHA fully but it is nothing big. Now my biggist "concern" is to pack luggage and leave for holiday.
Eva