Author Topic: When do you stop facial retraining?  (Read 5212 times)

Brewers7

When do you stop facial retraining?
« on: October 17, 2011, 08:58:22 am »
     I drive 4 hours one way about every six weeks to see a therapist who trained under Jackie Diels.  I have had some improvement, but I am nearly 3 years post op and I have been going for nearly a year.  I am not sure that it is worth all the trouble.  Any suggestions?
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
Re: When do you stop facial retraining?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 09:43:30 pm »
Brewers7, my doctor told me that the nerves regain movements up to 18 months post op. I did a lot of work during that time and with therapists and after that did the exercises on my own at home. I am lazy and haven't done the exercises for a year almost (I am 3 years post op) but just for training my muscles and not letting them get loose I should start again.

Don't you think that you can do the exercises this lady does on your face alone at home?

It is not good to give up exercising (I am a bad example) but a year has been a loooong time to meet with her.

All the best,
hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Brewers7

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 11:53:57 am »
I met with her this past week and she thinks that I should continue for 6 months.  I got a good report and I was very encouraged.  Then I had  minor traffic accident on the way home.  Guess I will try to hang in there a while longer.  I am very faithful with the exercises.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 12:51:26 pm »
Darn, Susan, I'm sorry to read about your accident. I hope it is truly minor. Better, I am glad to read you got a good report on your facial retraining.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 03:15:04 pm »
My doctor also told me that healing occurs within the first 18 months, yet here I am 3+ years out and still seeing improvement. I have read other posts here about healing 5, even 7 years out.

I would encourage you to go as long as you keep seeing improvement.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are ok.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 05:21:00 pm »
I am sorry to hear for the accident! Now that I am a student driver it gives me even more shivers.

hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

kathyp

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 07:41:29 pm »
don't stop!  i'm eleven years out and i did some electrical muscle stimulation for the first 3 months and then the dreaded synkinesis appeared.    Stopped  then did more about a year later but more synkinesis kicked in so immediately stopped.  Did facial retraining also and  was also told that whatever facial ennervation happened in the first year was pretty much it.  I'm so glad I did't give up!  True that the most dramatic gain happened the first few months but with much perserverance I still see changes, however subtle!  The most helpful thing I do is to concentrate on isolating the next most needed spot( lip corner; cheek muscle; etc.) and compare to the normal side sensations until I can activate the same area on affected side. (I do this in bed in the dark for minimal distractions and effective concentration.)  I practice the movement day in day out (i.e. when driving)  Results were seen within a couple of months. It's slow and minimal but it's going in the right direction!  I've managed to even out my smile ,lift my lip,lift my brow, still working on the eye area and further engaging the cheek muscle. Hope this helps. Appreciate any feedback.

Brewers7

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 12:17:02 pm »
I go next month for botox, but my therapist discharged me otherwise.  I am still doing the exercises.