Post-Treatment > Balance Issues

Brain Port for vertigo

(1/3) > >>

Patti UT:
Hi ALl,
  It's been a long while since I came on the forum, 2nd n surgery was Jan 2010.  I am at this point convinced I am doomed for a life of balance problems.  The vertigo is horrific and I fall frequently.  I ahve become a prisioner in my house for fear if I go out I'll fall and injur myself again.  I was reading about the BRAIN PORT. has anyone ever used one of these and did it help.  I am not finding anyone locally here that uses them for vestibular therapy.

thanks for reading this

patti UT

Jim Scott:
Hi, Patti ~

I'm sorry to learn that you're struggling with balance deficts that are impacting your quality of life but I'm gald to see that you're investigating possible solutions.  I don't know much about the BrainPort® device but I do know that, unfortunately, it is not available in the U.S.  However, it is available in Canada, for whatever that may be worth.  Here is a link to the manufacturers website, which might offer you more information.  http://wicab.us/index.php 

Jim

nftwoed:
Hi;
  I read Brain Port discussed quite a while ago on a Meniere's Disease site and mentioned on another AN site, but haven't read anything for quite a while; Say, nearly 3 years? I see it is not in this groups archived posts of 6 years.
  From what I read the tongue is guided by training provided by the machine to help provide balance. The Brain Port is not worn all the time and the pt. requires frequent exposure to Brain Port to have hours or a few short days lasting vestibular improvement.
  My feeling is since the item hasn't seemed to catch on, it's ultimate success was very limited.
  As posted, it is not available in the USA, so obviously could not be FDA approved.
  I did read the other day a Cochlear Implant 'type' device is being experimented with for the vestibular system. It remains to be implanted in Humans. Trials for that were to begin this Spring. I have forgotten where the device is being developed.

Patti UT:
HI JIm,  Long time not post eh?   Thanks for the input guys,  betwen my really bad tinnitus and balance, I keep hoping somewhere there will be some answers.  In the emantime,  keep plugging along

HUGS to ALl
Patti ut

HeadCase2:
I think ladavid, a forum member,  participated in a Brainport trial, see http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=10525.msg121402;topicseen#msg121402

You could send ladavid a note, and I'm sure he would be glad to tell about his experience with a Brainport device.

Regards,
  Rob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version