Author Topic: Translab Surgery Tuesday- Suggestions???  (Read 4933 times)

momof5

Translab Surgery Tuesday- Suggestions???
« on: June 05, 2011, 11:51:15 am »
Ready or not here it comes. I have read several posts on suggestions and I am really looking for what you would like to offer as the best thoughts you might give to me in preparation for this day, if you will.
I wish I would have found this sooner, but anything helpful is appreciated.
Peace
1.3X 1.3 X 1.7
Translab- Barrows on 6/7/2011
Dr's Smith and Weiskopf

lori67

Re: Translab Surgery Tuesday- Suggestions???
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 05:03:00 pm »
My advice is...

Relax and enjoy the nap.  As a mom of 5, it's probably the longest rest you've gotten in a long time!   ;D  I only have 4, but I still appreciated the uninterrupted snooze!

Seriously though, if you can handle 5 kids, this will be just another thing to get done and I'm sure you'll be back to getting things done in no time.

My practical suggestions - bring chap stick, sunglasses for the ride home (just in case you can't shut your eye all the way), sweatpants to wear home (you'll have an incision on your belly and a soft, stretchy waistband will feel better), slippers with a non-slip sole so you can be up and at 'em as soon as they let you and a picture of your family.  I found the last one to be very motivating.

Good luck and I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday.  Is there someone who can post to give us an update on how you're doing?  We tend to be a group that worries and some of us don't need any more grey hair!   ;)

You'll do great!  Do something fun with your family tomorrow!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 05:22:49 pm »
Hi Barb and welcome to this forum of your new, caring, supportive friends .....

Lori gave you the essential and most important things to remember.  I'm with Lori, the most important thing is to be as relaxed as you can be on Tuesday ..... it really does assist with the recovery.  My first go-around three years ago was retrosigmoid and three weeks ago I had translab.  All I can say is, the translab was a MUCH easier recovery than the retrosigmoid.  However, in all fairness, my balance adjustments all had to be made following the first surgery, so you may still have some wobbliness at first.

You did not say where you are having your surgery but I do hope someone can let us know how you are doing.  You have a whole bunch of "mother/father hens/roosters" on this forum now!   ;D

Many thoughts and prayers for Tuesday.  Enjoy tomorrow with your family.

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 06:38:41 pm »
Chapstick was very important and when the Dr.s say you will feel better up, believe them.  Best wishes
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 06:02:11 am »
Don't stress about possible side-effects of surgery - some never occur.

Remember that recovery takes time and patience.  Listen to your body.

Don't hesitate to ask others for help, whether that means a ride to the doctor's office, an offer to watch your kids, or a home-cooked meal.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mk

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:19:28 am »
I found a travel pillow (the one that wraps around the neck) useful for when I was sitting after surgery. Also a robe, and PJs that have a zipper or buttons on the front. And facial wipes. My throat was very sore from being intubated, so lozenges where very helpful.

Most importantly - relax, knowing that you are in good hands. Good luck and keep us posted.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 01:04:07 pm »
 Have a good dinner the night before and watch a good movie...just relax. Get back here as soon as you can to let us know how it went. Good luck.

James

HM1983

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 07:58:58 pm »
I'm also having Translab Surgery......on Thursday June 9th 2011, at Tampa General Hospital with Dr. Agazzi and Dr. Danner.  I'm so nervous....I've never had surgery before.  I really appreciate reading the comments on this list though.  It's helpful......and is giving me something else to focus on.  Hope all goes well with your surgery.
Translab 06/09/11 Dr Agazzi and Dr Danner (Tampa General Hospital, FL)
2.6 x 2.9 x 2.0 cm Diagnosed 05/05/11

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 01:18:17 am »
MOMOF5 - I know that this is too late in coming as you'll already have had surgery, so I'll just wish you all the very very best in your recovery and hope to read some more when you are back on deck.

Sendy humongous, but gentle, hugs yours way.

HM1983 - Thursday is almost here and the thing that got me through most of the lead up to going under was concentrating on my breathing.
DEEP BREATHS in and out.

I also hope to be reading about your recovery soon too.

Warmest of wishes,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

HM1983

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 08:35:57 pm »
Thanks for the tip Suu.....I'll try it out.  :)

~Heather
Translab 06/09/11 Dr Agazzi and Dr Danner (Tampa General Hospital, FL)
2.6 x 2.9 x 2.0 cm Diagnosed 05/05/11

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 01:57:16 am »
 ;D Let us know if there's anything we can to to help out - anytime.  We're only a screen away.
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12