Author Topic: SSD...Where is that noise coming from?  (Read 19274 times)

JerseyGirl2

Re: SSD...Where is that noise coming from?
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2011, 02:02:59 pm »
Thankfully, almost all of my "where is it coming from" moments are just funny, not crucial to a job or life threatening in any way...

I totally agree and am also very thankful that these moments, for me, are usually, at worst, just annoying. I know that's not the case for everyone, so my thoughts are with all who have to cope with this in more serious circumstances. I think we do tend to hone our other senses and become a bit more aware of our surroundings as a result of our difficulties with directionality.

My husband is getting a little better with naming the room he's in rather than just "I'm in here!"

And I think (or at least I hope!) that people with whom I talk are flattered by the absolutely rapt attention I pay them when they're speaking -- I don't take my eyes off their faces (and mouths!)

And I do my best to keep my dog in my line of vision when I'm on the phone so I'll know whether he's the barking dog I hear or whether it's the dog belonging to the person on the other end of the phone!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Kaybo

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 02:32:53 pm »
Funny story (may have shared it before)...my sweet husband always walks on my good side - we have had a long time to perfect this!! :)  He was on a business trip once and he & his boss were walking across a parking lot.  Dave automatically moved to the man's left side...kind of freaked the man out...Dave had to explain that I was deaf and that he was accustomed to doing that with me!!   ;)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 02:49:06 pm »
How funny!!

When we were in LA last Saturday, Nancy and I kept doing the "shuffle" while we walked around LALive, since both of us are left-sided SSD.  Little hard for one of us to walk backwards!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 03:46:13 pm »
I am good at walking backwards...or used to be - wonder how that would work these days?  I used to have to run down the basketball court backwards so I could play defense...

I can read & write upside down, you think that is good for anything?  ::)

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

kraynok2

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2011, 08:38:38 pm »
How funny Clarice and Kay!  I haven't looked at this thread in a while.  I just noticed the one about the sound like a bee in the deaf ear.  I was just thinking of posting something simiilar, so was glad I found that message.  My surgery was 6 months ago and just recently hear an occasional zing at the top of my deaf ear.  I think it's weird to hear a noise when the ear is deaf.  I was wondering if anyone else experienced a noise when I read one of the previous messages.  Sandy