Author Topic: scalp swelling over abutment  (Read 7261 times)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
scalp swelling over abutment
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:07:01 pm »
Every few weeks I get some swelling about the abutment. It was implanted in March 2010, and exposed in July 2010, and I plugged in 2 weeks later. Yesterday I had some tightness across my entire scalp from ear to ear. and this morning my scalp has swollen across one half of the abutment. There is no redness like you might see with an infection. I applied an ice pack this afternoon, and it started to seep some small amount of blood...not really bleeding, but blood shows up on the cloth cover over the ice pack. I will call my doctor in Houston tomorrow, but I am in Austin and can't just run over there tomorrow. I am sure he will see me in the next few days, and this is not an emergency, but need to hear from some of you with a similar experience. I have not had any problems in the past with this. I have not had any type of impact on my scalp that might have caused any injury.

lori67

Re: scalp swelling over abutment
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:17:03 pm »
During the first year following my BAHA surgery, I had some problems with the skin around the abutment too. It seemed the skin would just get irritated and inflammed for no apparent reason right around the abutment.  My doctor gave me a prescription cream called Clobetasol to put on the area.  It actually helps to "thin" skin - keeps it from growing too much around the abutment.  For a while, I would put it on once a week, even if it didn't seem to really need it.   

I've had my BAHA for just over 3 years now and I haven't had a problem since.  I had my BAHA surgery about 9 months after my AN surgery, so maybe my body was still concentrating on healing from the AN surgery.  I didn't live too far from my doctor, but I know there were a few times I would have my husband take a picture of the abutment and I'd e-mail it to the doctor to take a look at.  It did save me a few trips downtown.   Maybe you can try that too.

Good luck and don't get discouraged!  Eventually, the site will settle down once and for all!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

james e

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 04:25:14 am »
Thanks for answering. I just woke up and the entire abutment is now swollen over. I took some advil and applied another ice pack. It seems like I have a lot of swelling right over my translab incision behind my ear. It is not painful but just feels very tight.

moe

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:32:49 am »
James,
Sorry to hear about your problems with the abutment. Off you go to the doctor. Will be interesting to see what he says. Like Lori said, it will most likely settle down, just another little bump in the AN road...
If it's not one thing, it's another, eh? >:(
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 10:09:59 am »
It has been a long time since I have been on the ANA forum.  I have a TransEar but have not had much success with it.  I am thinking seriously of getting the BAHA.  Before I do, I would like to hear from all of you fellow Aner's out there that have one and give me the pros and cons.  Thanks, Jean
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

james e

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 03:15:09 pm »
I love my BAHA. It had a seal coming loose on the back of it and I sent it to Cochlear for warranty repair, and they did an update on it and had it back very quickly. I talked to my doctors nurse this morning, and the doc is out of town, but she was calling him. It is not an emergency, so I am not highly concerned. One of the first questions she asked me was if I wear the BAHA every day. Perhaps not wearing it every day while it was out for repair might have something to do with the swellling???

It really makes a lot of difference about what I hear. Funny, but I talk louder when I don't have it on...maybe I want to hear myself. My wife brings it up all the time when I'm not wearing it.

I'm not trying to sell you on the BAHA. It seems like other people are getting a lot of satisfaction from other bone anchored hearing aids, so try what is available and make a decision that works for you. The Cochlear people were very easy to deal with on the phone, and I rate their customer service as a 10. The hardware is easy to deal with, so it is a win/win for me.

james e

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:04:56 pm »
Lori, you were correct! The nurse just called in an order for Clobetasol, said to go light on it, and call back in about a week to 10 days. She said the processor really helps keep the  scalp from growing over the abutment. This is just the best site for getting all the information. Thank you so much for your support. Thank you too Maureen.

james e

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 01:31:01 pm »
I have used Clobetasol for 48 hours now. Within 24 hours the swelling reduced a lot, and today my fat ole head is back to normal. I will quit using it tomorrow and plug my BAHA back in. I think my wife is tired of talking loud enough without me wearing the BAHA...she misses it as much as I do.

lori67

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 02:51:31 pm »
Glad you had good results! It always worked like a charm for me.  If I ever feel like things might be about to flare up around the abutment, I'll put a little bit on at bedtime and by morning it's all good and I just wash it off in the shower.  Good stuff to keep on hand.

And after tomorrow, you won't be able to pretend you didn't hear your wife tell you to take out the trash.   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 11:19:23 am »
James -

glad to hear things are getting better for you - and I'm glad one of our resident nurses, Lori, could give you advice on Clobetasol.

Jean -

I am a confirmed BAHA wearer; absolutely LOVE mine and highly recommend it to everyone I know who is SSD. 

Pros include, not having to say "what?" repeatedly; not having to position yourself in a room or at a table where you are trying to get everyone on your "good" side; not having to turn your body in order to hear someone on your "good" side; not having anything in your ear; and little or no upkeep.  I do nothing but wash my BAHA site when I shampoo.

Cons include, no directionality (which is normal with hearing devices), and not hearing like you used to before you were SSD (another normal with hearing devices).

The surgery is quick, done on an outpatient basis, and you can even have it with local anesthesia if you want (I did, and it isn't nearly as grisly as it sounds).  The recovery in most cases is fast, painless, and without complications. 

In my book it's well worth it and I've never regretted having the surgery.

If you haven't already, try the demo in your doc's office.  I think you'll be impressed.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask us any questions,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways