Author Topic: Barrow's Neurological in Phoenix  (Read 5190 times)

dmmant

Barrow's Neurological in Phoenix
« on: June 11, 2011, 08:48:47 pm »
I am new to this forum, and thankful it is available.  I have been to Mayo-Scottsdale but wanted to get a second opinion from Dr. Spetzler at Barrow's Neurological in Phoenix.  Has anyone been treated at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale or by Dr. Spetzler at Barrow's?  I've been in the watch and wait period since 2007, but my AN is growing, however slowly (2 now).  I have hearling loss in my left ear -- but they say that with surgery there is the 60 percent possibility they can save what is left.  I would like that, but with what I read about surgery, I'm petrified!  Has anyone been to Dr. Spetzler in Phoenix?  I have read so much about the House clinic and think perhaps I should be looking in that direction as well?!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:00:08 am by dmmant »

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Barrow's Neurological in Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 11:49:40 pm »
Hi there!! Sorry to see you found this place, but it's a very good place to be!  I too live in the Phoenix (Chandler) area and I had gone to Barrow and had a consult with one of the Neurootologists there (Dr. Weisskopf). Anyways, I was had an appointment to see Dr. Spetzler and then I decided to go with House Ear Clinic so I never saw him.  The only reason I went with House Vs. Barrows was Dr. Brackmann at house wanted to do Middle Fossa and possible saving my hearing (which they did!).  Had saving my hearing not been an option I would have definitely gone with Barrows.  They're definitely reknown for brain surgeries and Dr. Spetzler, while he is the Chief of Staff for his department, is definitely known.  If you have anymore questions, please don't hesistate to PM me (or ask in here) and I'll do my best to help! Good luck on whatever you decided!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 04:49:04 am »
Many here treated at Barrows very successfully over the years. I can think of Shoegirl, MaryBKAZ, etc. Please go to the home page of the forums and do a "search" option (top left) for "Barrows" for the many updates over the years. Too many for me to list here.

Welcome to the forums.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ColaBurns

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:09:46 pm »
I too am thinking of hitting up Barrows. The dizziness and ringing in both ears now is driving me insane. Wanted to get a 2nd opinion. Let me know what you think of them if you see them!

Cola Burns
Chandler, AZ
Diagnosed June 25th, 2010
Acoustic Neuroma: 4mm right side
Doctor: Dr. Fucci in Chandler, AZ
I now belong to the Watch and Wait Brigade!

trhoads

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 02:51:45 am »
I know I am a little late joining this discussion; I haven't been to the site in a long time. I just want to say that if you decide to go with Barrow's, DO NOT choose Dr. Randall Porter. My surgery was done by Dr. Porter. I had a middle fossa surgery trying to save my hearing because I had no hearing loss at the time of surgery. I've lost all of the hearing on that side, left with the horrible headaches and the pain in the back of my head, and he missed the entire tumor!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 04:01:38 pm »
Barrows has an excellent reputation.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways