Author Topic: MRI Scan - Please help  (Read 3020 times)

khiggens85

MRI Scan - Please help
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:43:18 am »
Hi, I am female and 25 years old. I have two pictures from my MRI scan that I wish to have looked at either by an neuro or an ENT or anybody who knows about these scans, please can you help. My current neurologist did not look through the whole of my scan, I think he had written me off before he saw the results. I think it might be acoustic neuroma or a cyst. I suffer from daily headaches, nausea, vertigo/dizziness and ocassional tinnitus aswell as balance problems. Thanks, Kate

rayden1

Re: MRI Scan - Please help
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 02:04:47 pm »
Hi

The only person who can read mri scan accurately is your neuro surgeon or ent consultant so if you are worried go to someone elde for a second opinion. Hope you get good news.

Let us know

Ann x

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: MRI Scan - Please help
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 03:11:13 pm »
Hi, Kate - and welcome ~

I have to concur with Ann ('rayden1') that you should seek out a local neurosurgeon that will take you on as a patient and read your MRI scan.  However, you do have another option.  You can send a copy of your MRI scan - on a disc - to the House Ear Institute in Los Angeles, California.  They'll 'read' your scan and a doctor will call you back (within 24 hours) with their professional opinion.  The service is free and there is no obligation to go to HEI for treatment (although HEI has a sterling reputation for their work with AN patients). 

Here is a link to the HEI website with the consultation request page that you need to receive the reading of your MRI.  http://www.houseearclinic.com/consultation/acousticneuroma 

I must caution that there are many causes for the symptoms you present and the MRI may not indicate an acoustic neuroma.  This is why you need to have the MRI scan 'read' by a qualified doctor who can ascertain whether or not you have an acoustic neuroma and, if not, whether there is any other 'visible' reason (on the MRI scan) for your symptoms.

I trust this information is helpful and I hope you can soon learn the cause of your symptoms and, AN or not, address it. Please let us know what you decide to do.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.