Author Topic: Post-op "Normality"  (Read 7392 times)

Pruneface

• 3.5 cm tumor; Surgery planned for June 13
Re: Post-op "Normality"
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 02:05:20 pm »
Now that I am through the surgery and basically fully recovered, I will respond to the the "normality" question.  I had no headaches, no negative effects, and was myself after just a few short days.  Having sought information fron the forum was generally helpful, but I found myself waiting for those not-so-positive outcomes, which didn't come.  I have no facial paralysis, no balance issues to speak of, no "leaks."  Basically, I am the same as before the tumor started affecting my body.  I would urge people not to expect negative outcome; in fact, I resisted the urge to read about those who had problems.  Going in with a positive, assured, "I will be fine" attitude is most of the battle.

Please know that my surgery was long (10 hours) and my tumor was fairly large (more that 3.6 cm).  My cerebellum had two contusions on it and my brain stem was pushed to the side.  So even rather serious conditions do not result in problem outcomes.  I am truly blessed and ready to go forward from here.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 02:19:08 pm »
Pat ~

We appreciate that positive message based on your experience.  I enjoyed a very similar outcome to my AN surgery (no complications, rapid recovery) and I also feel blessed.  I agree that having a sincerely positive attitude (and, in my case, lots of prayers said for me) is a major attribute although I don't believe attitude, alone, guarantees a good outcome - but it sure makes the experience easier. 

Unfortunately, some AN surgical patients do experience less than good outcomes and/or develop complications post-op that make their recovery difficult and can negatively affect the quality of life for that person.  That is a harsh reality that, to maintain the ANAs integrity, we have to acknowledge and discuss as we attempt to help and support those AN surgery or radiation patients that are experiencing post-op difficulties.  That doesn't mean that we can't celebrate the success stories of AN patients like you.  Frankly, we love receiving these types of very positive messages from AN surgical patients attempting to encourage those facing surgery in the near future.  Thank you for yours.  :)

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JAndrews

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 06:37:21 pm »
Great news!!
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 12:12:53 pm »
Pruneface:

Congratulations on such a positive outcome. Now, I hope you will stick around to provide encouragement for others who are seeking positive outcomes & to share your story with those who don't believe that life can be normal after an AN.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

ckoza1

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 12:58:56 pm »
This forum has really been an important part of my dealing well with my AN. I have not had surgery yet, but I go for balance tests this week and will see my doctors soon afterwards to get their thinking on my case. Comments and experiences here are realistic and factual, and this is what makes the forum so useful. None of us wants to face a "worst case scenario," but if we do find ourselves in one, we want answers, advice, and support. This is certainly the place to find all of that. Hopefully, as I go through this process, I will be able to make my own small contribution.

psmix

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 02:38:34 pm »
Thanks for posting the follow-up. Glad to hear of your positive outcome, and that others can read about your experience!
Right AN diagnosed Sept. 2010 - 4 cm x 3 cm x 3 cm
Debulked via translab Sept. 2010
Removed at House Feb. 2011
CSF leak with blind sac closure and lumbar drain March 2011
Unresponsive facial nerve, platinum weight
SSD