Author Topic: Problems focusing  (Read 11391 times)

mk

Problems focusing
« on: March 12, 2011, 04:09:25 pm »
Hi all,

During the last couple of weeks I have been having trouble focusing my eyes. It is especially bad when working on the computer. I am not sure if it is AN related, after all I have also realized that I need reading glasses  ::) and  I have made an appointment with the optometrist.
So my question is: are focusing problems common pre-op? I know that double vision and other problems can appear after surgery, mainly because of the 4th and 6th nerves that control movement up-down and right-left can be affected. But what about pre-op? I have seen a couple of threads mentioning this recently. After having heard all these doctors during my consults asking me if I have vision problems etc., it seems like a self fullfilling prophecy.
Any input? Or should I just attribute it to the need for reading glasses?

Thank you,
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Problems focusing
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 10:12:27 am »
Hi Marianna:  I never had problems pre-op, other than my nearsightedness (which I wear glasses for).
Maybe go to an ophthalmologist & get a thorough eye exam.  No docs asked me about my vision pre-op,
do you think this may have had something to do with GK? - I went through surgery only.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

mk

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 07:12:30 pm »
No, I don't think that the doctors were thinking about GK. Rather the size of the AN itself. My understanding is that there are two possibilities, one is problems because of the 4th and 6th nerves being affected causing double vision. The other one is onset of hydrocephalus which could put pressure on the optic nerve.
I don't have double vision, and I am not experiencing blank spots at the centrefield of vision which are indication of the optic nerve being affected. Just can't seem to focus well. So I was wondering if anyone with a large AN has experienced something similar pre-op. Or have people experienced something similar when they realized it was time for reading glasses? I am only asking for experiences here, I know that most people around are not doctors.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

mattsmum

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:11:12 am »
hi - do you have any balance issues? if so that can affect vision, causing difficulty with reading etc. this could be before and or after surgery or radiaotherapy.

b w
vikki
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:29:14 pm »
Vicki beat me to it.
My dizziness has a big bearing on how I'm handling being on the computer. Putting a bright light on near me has helped a little bit but covering over the AN affected eye works wonders.  I wad up some gauze and put it between my glasses and my eye so the lid doesn't move.
Hope this helps.

♥ ´)
.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•♥ ¨)
(,.•´ (.♥ •´ *Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

mk

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 08:05:36 am »
Thank you all for your responses.
No, I have never had any dizziness or balance issues.
One thing that has me worried is that I read somewhere in an older post that increased intercranial pressure associated with hydrocephalus can cause pressure on the optic nerve, and vision problems, such as blurriness.
I have an appointment with the optometrist on Wednesday and I will ask him specifically about this. I will post an update.

Marianna

MNTim

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 05:42:11 pm »
Marianna,

Vision problems led to my diagnosis.  When sitting at my computer I would have trouble focusing after looking away from my computer.
My optometrist diagnosed me with papilledema which is swelling of the optic nerve caused by intracranial pressure. 

Best of luck,
Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

mk

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 06:40:03 pm »
Thank you Tim for your input

this is exactly what I am worried about. I read about papilledema, so I figured that this could be a possible cause.

How long did you have these symptoms for diagnosis? My understanding is that this is treated as an emergency. How did they deal with it after you were diagnosed?

Marianna

MNTim

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 08:25:31 pm »
I would guess that I had the symptoms for two months.  As soon as the optometrist diagnosed papilledema she referred me to an opthamologist.  I saw him within a couple of days and he immediately scheduled an MRI.  At the time I had not been diagnosed with an AN.  The MRI showed a 5 cm AN and hydrocephulus.  I was admitted emergently to the hospital.

I assume you know some details about your AN and if the Dr was concerned corrective action would have been taken.  I think it is good to have it checked out.

Best wishes,
Tim
2/12/11 Lumbar drain

mk

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 03:13:32 pm »
Hello all,

I am back from the optometrist. He took a very careful look and showed me the images of my eyes. No papilledema and he said that these were images of healthy eyes.
His explanation was that the eye muscle is strained because in addition to being mildly shortsighted, now I need reading glasses too, and I spend a lot of time in front of the computer, so my eye tries to focus continuously.  So I got a prescription for reading glasses.  Phew, that was a relief though.
Thank you all for providing input in this thread.

Marianna

MNTim

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 07:39:45 pm »
Great news.  Growing old is fun!

Tim
2/12/11 Lumbar drain

Tumbleweed

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 11:18:40 pm »
I'm glad to hear your vision issue was nothing serious, Marianna. When are you going in for your microsurgery?

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 02:57:37 am »
Thanks for letting us know. I'm soooooooooooooo happy that it's good news. Imagine all the frames there are to choose from these days!

Regards,
Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

mk

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 10:04:47 am »

Yeah, I was trying to avoid the issue, but I must accept that I need reading glasses  ::)

Dr. Akagami said that they would schedule surgery within the next couple of months. So I am waiting anxiously for a date. The last stumbling block is the MRI. They want to have the most recent MRI for planning. Fortunately I managed to schedule it for March 31st (now I have learned how to pull a few strings). Oh, the waiting game.

Marianna

oksandra

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 10:40:10 pm »
Good luck, Marianna.  The period between my primary care doc's initial referral to a neurologist, to appointments with neurosurgeons (three to be exact), the radiation oncologist, and then scheduling of my CK took 8 months!  It is a bit crazy making.  I'm glad you are getting close to the end of that process!
Sandra