Author Topic: Facial sore spots & swelling  (Read 2318 times)

Busybelle1

• 2cm AN surgery 5/11/06 Dr. Wiet
Facial sore spots & swelling
« on: August 04, 2006, 08:45:23 am »
I had a 2cm AN surgery via translab approach 5-11-06.  My facial nerve is intact but was flattened by the tumor and surgery.  My doctor seems pleased that he has noticed some indication that my nerve is coming back.  However, my face has spots that are extremely sore to the touch.  Under my cheekbone in the sinus area, the base of the nose, and on my eyebrow area.  It also appears swollen.  Is this from my tears not flowing from my eye or is this something else?  Anyone experience this and what do you do about it, if anything?

britbert

Re: Facial sore spots & swelling
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 10:45:19 am »
I had my tranlab surgery in January 2004 and I still get sore spots on my face.  (They aren't swollen, however.  If yours are swollen, you might want to contact your doctor.)  Mine are in similar place to the ones you mentioned and I have one in my chin too.  I have been going to facial physical therapy on and off and my physical therapist has suggested ways to loosen up those spots.  I have mentioned this in another post, but I put my thumb inside my cheek and put my fingers on the outside and pinch the sore spot for 20 seconds or so and then I massage the area for a few more seconds, pulling down in the direction of my mouth, in order to follow the natural direction of the facial muscle.  And I purchased the pin point massager from Brookstone ($20 and I ordered it online).  This helps loosen up my face and will work well in your eyebrow area.  According to my physical therapist, it is important to loosen up those sore spots.  It will help with the paralysis (I am assuming you have paralysis?), eating, etc.  As far as not tearing in your eye, welcome to the club.  I doubt any of the soreness is a result of that.  Many of us have a dry eye.  Hope this helps.  And good luck. :)

Brittany
AN Surgery (left) @ age 28; 1.21.2004
Dr. Shelton & Dr. MacDonald
University of Utah Hospital