Author Topic: Teeth care with numb mouth  (Read 2807 times)

spgreenfield

Teeth care with numb mouth
« on: November 06, 2011, 09:17:21 am »
Just wanted to share something that I've discovered is great.  I use an electric toothbrush and I SWEAR it helps with my knowing that I'm not tearing up my gums.....since you can't FEEL how hard you're brushing - to have that machine doing the work and you can feel the pressure your hand is using....and to have the circular motion not gouging into the gums...etc.....I just was wondering if others feel this same way....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Cindyswart

Re: Teeth care with numb mouth
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:57:28 pm »
Hey Pam, I feel ya, or rather I don't!! Electric is great!
Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Teeth care with numb mouth
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 02:47:01 pm »
Pam ~

Thanks for that advice. 

I don't have a numb mouth but I've used an electric toothbrush for years and my semi-annual dental checkups are always good with compliments from the hygienist about my excellent 'home care'.  Based on my experience, I would recommend using an electric toothbrush and especially if you have a problem feeling how hard you're brushing  As you noted, the vibration from the unit gives you useful 'feedback' so you don't overdo it.  My electric toothbrush even has a 'timer' that 'stutters' the brushing to let you know when you've brushed for 30 seconds on one quadrant, which is the ADA recommendation. Technology is great!   

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.