Author Topic: BAHA Demos at our Support Group Meeting  (Read 3566 times)

cindyj

BAHA Demos at our Support Group Meeting
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:56:48 am »
We were very fortunate to have 2 Cochlear reps at our support group meeting on Saturday.  They gave a BAHA presentation and then let us all try it out!  Everyone was quite impressed!  Quite a few said they were going to pursue getting a BAHA.  I had never really considered getting one - as a lot of you have heard me say, I've adapted quite well to SSD, I think.  However, after trying it out (even though it was just a couple of minutes), I can definitely see the appeal and I will possibly think about it for down the road sometime.  I think I would want to try it out over a few days - think some of you have mentioned your doctors let you do that?

Anyway, was great to be able to see so many folks excited about "hearing" again!  Was also good for me to be able to experience what so many of you here have been talking about.  I would recommend that any one having difficulty adjusting to SSD give it a try!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA Demos at our Support Group Meeting
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:32:57 pm »
The BAHA demo was what sold me. 

I didn't get to take one home, but just the brief time I tried it in my doctor's office impressed me enough to make me decide to get the implant.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lynn Mc

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:35:59 am »
I actually have one home now.  It is really impressing me AGAIN.  This is the second time I have borrowed it.  Was turned down last year by my insurance.  New insurance this year that I think will cover the BAHA but now I have to get up the courage to have someone mess with my head again!!! 
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:33:49 am »
Lynn -

if you are interested in a Cochlear processor, Cochlear has a division called OMS that will work directly with your insurance company on coverage.  All you do is contact them, give them your insurance info., and they take it from there.

You'll find info on OMS on the Cochlear website www.cochlearamericas.com

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lynn Mc

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 06:42:05 am »
Thanks Jan, the Dr's office is working with them.   They tried last year but BCBS was a no go.  The new insurance shows some real promise.  Will know shortly.  Kind of excited bit nervous at the same time.  Really don't want anyone messing with my head.  We will see what the insurance says & then go from there.
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 11:37:42 am »
Whatever you do, don't give up on the insurance company. That's what they want.  Don't give in to them.  Just keep fighting for it and eventually you will win.  I know cuz I've been there and done that for 4 years.  I never gave up and got my surgery.  BTW, my insurance is BC/BS of Illinois.  Good Luck! ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 08:06:40 am »
Yes, the reps who were at our meeting stressed that insurance absolutely should cover it and part of their job at Cochlear was to help with that process for the patient. 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings