Author Topic: Anesthesia  (Read 1872 times)

N Y Lady

Anesthesia
« on: June 20, 2006, 12:05:04 pm »
Hi All,
     I found this site just before I went in for my surgery and thank all those who post.   Post op, I have found I share some of the symptoms and thank you for letting me know I'm not alone and what to expect.
     I had a very successful operation on February 7th and, am told, was out of the hospital in 9 days.  I say I was told I was out after nine days because I can't seem to remember quite a few things.  I'm not sure if my memory problems are from the AN or the anesthesia? I had a bad infection in the surgery site, ended up back in the hospital until 4/23 and had shunts put in and out 3 times. That makes 8 times under anesthesia in 2 months.  I can remember my name and address but have trouble with my telephone number and childhood memories.  I also feel like I think a lot slower.  I've worked for the same company for 30+ years and am used to being able to do 5 things at once, think on my feet, and solve all problems...suddenly, I'm happy to be in my feet...LOL! 
     I am working hard on all the other side effectsand these things have helped:
  balance: I walk at least a mile a day, go to PT, and do my exercises religiously: dry eye: use Refresh PM constantly and wear a patch when I'm outside and its windy; left facial paralysis: do my exercises, repeat my special words (different ones to work different parts of the tongue) and never forget a straw; attitude: laugh or make someone laugh as oten as I can

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Anesthesia
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 12:20:12 pm »
Love your attitude!  Makes all the difference in the world.  I think the anesthesia has a lot to do with the problems after surgery.  But that's just my opinion and I'm no doctor.  That's a really big insult to our bodies, to undergo major surgery.  It certainly takes a while to recover. I hope you continue to heal and your problems will disappear.  Keep on laughing.  ;D
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 02:11:20 pm »
Special words? I wanna repeat special words too!  No one told me about special words!

I can remember things that happened before surgery but not last week  ;D

tony

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 02:45:30 pm »
The drugs used in AN surgery are serious drugs - central nervous system suppressors etc, etc, - In my case we are talking street value $100,000, or more.
They are known for any number of side effects: addiction/withdrawel/delusions etc, etc
They use them - because, they have to - they have no alternative
they make drug store medications look like kiddies sweets
Dont be too surprised at after-body/brain reactions
(I can no longer tell memory/reality in Hospital, from the drug induced dream/states)
It can take mths for the body to flush the stuff out the system.
My advice - dont get too keen on them - its not for real
Have a happy trip !
Best regards
Tony