Author Topic: Trying to find a good balance therapist in the Columbus OH area  (Read 5168 times)

Truffles

Trying to find a good balance therapist in the Columbus OH area
« on: January 08, 2011, 04:40:38 pm »
Does anyone know of a good therapist in the Columbus area that specializes in balance?  Mine has gotten worse recently (not that I don't walk like I'm drunk anyway).  If I can improve it at all that would help.  I do walk, although my asthma kept me in a lot this year. (BOO-even my dog is in worse shape from that-LOL).  Thanks for suggestions.  I've thought about a Wii but just don't know.  Hope you all have a great New Year. 

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Trying to find a good balance therapist in the Columbus OH area
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 06:54:14 pm »
I'm sure there are vestibular therapists in the Columbus area.  However, I went to Cabell Huntington Hospital in Huntington, WV for my therapy with excellent help.  See:  http://cabellhuntington.org/services/balance_center/

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 07:55:38 pm »
HI!  If you go to the "support group" link on the ANA home page, scroll down to Ohio and you'll see the contact info for Karl Forster.  I attended a support group meeting held at his home and the speaker was an impressive man from the Ohio State University - specializing in balance disorders.  He provided contact information for therapists, one of whom was especially focused on AN-related issues.  I looked for that contact info myself (I e-mailed him with some questions following the meeting and he promptly responded), but I can't find it.  If you can't reach Karl, pm me and I'll look further.  I work in Columbus, and go the OSU Medical Center way too much for my liking for all kinds of other issues!!! 

Good luck!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Truffles

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 07:18:14 pm »
Thanks you guys.  I've been to a couple of meetings but hadn't contacted the club yet.  Don't ask me why because they probably should have been the first people I thought to ask. LOL. 

lori67

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 05:00:17 pm »
The Wii is a great idea (and fun!).  Can't hurt to give it a try!

As far as therapists go, all PT's have been trained in vestibular therapy (I know, because I am one).  There are those that specialize in it or do it more frequently, but it's not a difficult thing to learn, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone that can help you.  You can try asking your doctor or the nurses in the office where they would recommend for PT.  If the facility they recommend can't help you, they will know another clinic that should be able to.

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Truffles

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 09:53:45 am »
Thanks Lori,

Just for FYI, what type of thing do you do with the Wii?  I've seen the little board you stand on and I'm assuming some of them involve that use.

lori67

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 06:05:26 pm »
The Wii Fit has the board.  You can do all kinds of stuff - yoga, strengthening.. there's even a bunch of balance exercises.  I like them because you don't feel like you're doing work - it's fun (and pretty funny to watch, I'm sure!).  The Wii without the board can help your balance too - just having to keep yourself upright while playing some of those games is a workout.  Usually they have a demo one set up in the store - I know our Walmart and Best Buy do.  Maybe you can go try one out before you spend the money on one.

Really anything that challenges your balance will help.  You can put the couch cushions on the floor and walk on them.  Walk in the grass instead of the sidewalk.  Try walking while slowly turning your head side to side.  That last one is best performed in a shopping mall while window shopping.   ;D

My balance has definitely gotten quite good now.  I just pushed myself a little at a time and eventually my body figured out what it needed to do for me to remain standing.  I took some yoga classes at the Y also and I know that helped.  I just stayed in the back of the class close to a wall so as not to knock the rest of the class down like dominoes.   :o

If you are able to find a therapist to go to, he or she can give you some things to work on at home.  Actually, if you try doing a search on this forum, there are probably some balance exercises listed on here.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

kshcon

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 02:23:47 pm »
Hi!  Just saw this post.  I live in Columbus, and am 15 months post-op.  For vestibular therapy, I went to Jody Renard at the OhioHealth facility on Larwell (off of Henderson Rd).  She specializes in vestibular therapy.  While I still have issues, she has been very helpful.  Hope this helps!