Author Topic: vestibular rehab on the horizon  (Read 11462 times)

nanramone

Re: vestibular rehab on the horizon
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 07:46:16 am »
Sunfish - I hope rehab will help. I have only tried to run once, and it felt strange, so I stopped...but I think in time I'll be jogging regularly. I don't think I can ride a bike - haven't tried!

I'm going to buy a balance board, which I've started to use in therapy - I think it will help a lot.

Kansas

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 04:11:31 pm »
About Vestibular Rehab:  I had it years ago, was bored, didn't stick  with it.  Now I need it badly and I'm happy to report have a wonderful therapist come to my home.
Hi all - Today I met with a neurologist to begin the process of finding out how much damage my vestibular nerve has incurred, and to seek some solutions to a few problems. Over the course of the last year, I've gone from being a frequent runner and enthusiastic dancer to a person who has trouble keeping up with people who walk fast! The changes were subtle, and I didn't realize what was happening, but I'm sure not as stable on my feet as I used to be.

So the first appointment was today. The doctor said I have nystagmus, and I'll have a bunch of further testing in a few weeks, then start some rehab exercises. He believes the balance problems I'm having will improve.

Post Gamma Knife on 5-18 - I am staying very active, and for the most part I feel good. I have not felt like socializing, except with my closest friends, but that will change soon. I get very tired after physical exertion. I also think my hearing has worsened after GK - the tinnitus definitely sounds different....the doctor I saw today offered to test it, but I declined, preferring to wait until my 6 month check up and MRI.

I'm still feeling happy about GK and hope others making a treatment decision will strongly consider this option if appropriate.

ombrerose4

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 07:23:26 am »
Having a good therapist is very important. I went to vestibular rehab soon after surgery and my therapist was GREAT! My vestibular nerve was cut so I had a big deficit, but with alot of work and practice at home, no one can tell I have any balance issues. The only time I feel off balance is if I am really tired or if I am walking outside and get too lost in my thoughts- then I tend to wander a bit. I hope you stick with it this time. It will make you stronger. Good luck! :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Tisha

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 03:16:23 pm »
Nanramone,

How's the Nystaguss and therapy?  STanford told me I need to start.
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 09:38:10 pm »
I had limited success from vestibular rehab....too boring, not enough time, and not challenging enough. A couple/few times per week for an hour just didn't seem to bring much benefit.....and doing it at home is boring beyond belief. My advice for balance therapy is to find something you can enjoy doing that challenges your balance and work harder at it than you ever thought possible. It's much easier to push yourself if it's fun and the goal is more than just improving your balance. It has to be reasonably safe of course. I was lucky to find standup paddleboarding, great fun, great balance therapy and a great overall workout to boot.  I also think that most therapy is missing a very important component. One thing that standup provides that most therapy exercises don't is a broad flat frame of visual reference. I think that helps in the retraining of the remaining vestibular system with solid feedback of where horizontal is. I won't repeat the details here but if your interested in what something like standup might bring.. http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=8379.0
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:41:09 pm by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

sunfish

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 06:54:37 am »
A neurologist told me he had a friend who recovered from vestibular problems by taking a bunch of wiffle balls and a plastic bat out to the beach, and throwing the balls up and hitting them.  Also, playing catch with the kids was pretty challenging for me, too.  I think others on this forum have talked about the benefits of walking, and moving your head or looking around at the same time (be safe!).

I'm pretty active, but none of my activities has seemed to make too much of a dent in my disequilibrium.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC