Author Topic: Weight Gain  (Read 4931 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Weight Gain
« on: April 27, 2005, 09:02:03 am »
Hi All,

29 m, had my surgery in October of 2004 so I'm still recovering, but in the past few months I've noticed a substantial weight gain. I'm a big guy anyway (6'4") but I've gone from about 225 pre surgery to about 245 now. In addition, I know I lost weight when I was in the hospital for a month, so I'm guessing I was down to around 215. I know the majority of it is probably because I'm limited as to what my body can do. I still can't run or anything, so basically I'm sitting at work all day, then I'm so tired (still recovering) that I go home and sit more or fall asleep. I hate feeling so unhealthy! Any ideas?

Becky

Re: Weight Gain
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 07:45:16 am »
My family doctor suggested a stationary bike, as I have been inactive too because of restricted neck movements problems.  I am not doing it for weight loss, tho, just to stay active in whatever way I can.  The bike faces the TV, so instead of being a couch potato, I can be a pedaler while I watch.

Hope this helps,
Becky

kathypickrell

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 04:39:08 pm »
Hi I have found that water exercizes really helps me because you don't have to worry about falling.

Texas Gal

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 10:40:49 am »
Sweetie, if you are taking any anti-depressants...they will cause you to gain weight.  Pills, are not the answer.  Just give yourself time to heal emotionally, as well as physically...God Bless...Karla

Russ

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 09:43:43 am »
Hi
  Even though a weight gain due to being forced to be more sedentary, I imagine at 6' 4" you are carrying the extra pounds well.
  Little exotic solutions for this but watch those fast food places and pre-prepared foods and get out and start moving.
  Diets sometimes seem to work temporarily but can actually make it more difficult to lose weight because the body thinks it is starving so it's metabolism slows.
  I'm forced into being more sedentary forever because of NF-2 and have within the past few months, readjusted my diet. I've at least maintained or lost a little.
  Good luck to you!!
  Russ

rebecca

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 01:57:32 pm »
Hi,

When I wasn't moving about much, I had soup alot.  It's quite nourishing and can be fun to make as well.  See if you can find the book, "Secrets of Pistoulet."  It's a wonderful book about healing soup remedies.  While it's a pleasure to read, the recipies are also quite delicious!

Bon  Apetite!!!!