Author Topic: Steroids  (Read 2721 times)

phx

Steroids
« on: February 18, 2011, 07:58:12 pm »
I had radiaton in August with no problems then. I was put on steriods to be on the safe side. In January I saw my doctor again because of severe twitching. She said that I had some swelling, so I was put back on steroids for 3 weeks. I tapered off, but the taper was fast. A week later I start feeling awful. First, neck pain and then I thought I had the flu because I was dizzy, had double vision, nausea, balance issues, and speech and concentration problems. I had a follow-up. The doctor said she might have had me taper off too fast, so now I'm back on steroids, but only a small dose. Has anyone ever been through this. I started yesterday and I was expecting to feel great, but I still feel awful. She said that my adrenal glands may still be sleeping (makes it sound temporary), although, after reading so many things on the internet, I'm afraid I'll feel like this forever. I need some reassurance that I'll start to feel better soon. I'm in grad school and this is my hardest semester yet. I don't want this affecting me, especially if I will not be able to handle the stress. Thanks all!

Phx

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: Steroids
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:08:04 pm »
PHX

Of course I am not a doctor but I have heard of severe side effects if you go off steroids to quickly.  You can "google" going off steroids it to see if the side effects are what you are experiencing.  It might help you feel better about what is going on.

Best of Luck

TJ

Shan1014

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 11:24:13 am »
Just sharing what I went through these past couple weeks.  I am about 5 months post radiation.

What steroids are you on?  I have had about 5 short stints of them.  3 weeks ago my doctor had me try Prednisone but I don't think they were strong enough.  So when I went off of them, I had many of the same symptoms you mentioned.  I think mine was from tumor swelling and I felt awful.  I struggled through it for awhile and then I got facial weakness and realized it was tumor swelling.  So then, they put me on the strong stuff, Decadron again.  I feel much better today- 4 days in on Decadron.  

I don't know if this information is helpful at all, but  know you aren't alone - Hope things turn for you soon.
Hang in there.
Shan
4.1cm AN 85% de-bulked on 3/09/10
Dr. Willis & Dr. Macias- Phoenix Banner Hospital
July 2010 MRI shows fast re-growth
(FSR) Stereotactic Radiation Novalis Tx 9/27/10 5 days
Hearing loss and slight Bells Palsy Left side
Experiencing balance, facial numbness, double vision, headaches, & fatigue

phx

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 08:04:03 pm »
I had decadron right after my surgery for about 4 or 5 days. I was put on dexamethizone for radiaton. I had severe twitching on the leftside of my face, but no dizziness or balance issues. I felt great on the steroids which got rid of my swelling and facial twiching, but I'm paying for that now. I tapered off the steroids too fast. I was off for a week before I started feeling awful. The doctor put me back on 1/2 pill for a week and then 1/2 every other week, but I'm still not feeling good. I might call if it doesn't get better in the next few days. Stinks how I suffer the side affects of being on them and off them.

Phx