Author Topic: Anyone experienced rotary nystagmus?  (Read 3279 times)

kkl

Anyone experienced rotary nystagmus?
« on: February 17, 2011, 07:48:01 am »
Hi all,

Went to see an ophthamologist today.  He said my AN eye is a lot drier so I need to have it lubricated more often.  He thinks my temp facial paralysis is recovering pretty well.

When I complained about my left eye seem weaker, after careful examination, he said I have rotary nystagmus and asked me to inquire more from my surgeon.   I remember my husband observed some more evident nystagmus shortly after the operation and the surgeon said this is usually temorary.  So now, am not sure what is this....

Want to ask if anyone had this and whether it went away eventually?

Thanks,

Konnie

ksiwek

Re: Anyone experienced rotary nystagmus?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 01:02:39 pm »
Hi!  I am 8.5 months post op and have rotary nystagmus.   For the first 4 months I had it in all fields of gaze.  Now it is just in my lateral gaze.  I am not sure whether it will completely resolve or not, but I can tell you that it is better.  It defn can tire your eyes/mind out when you do a lot of driving!  I do eye exercises frequently and practice gaze stabilization when I am out walking.  From what I know it has to do with 6th nerve involvement.  Send me a message if you want to talk one off...I would love to know what you have learned and any potential treatments you have heard about!  I hope that you find improvement with time! 
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)