Author Topic: Surgeons Use New Tools...  (Read 3869 times)

annamaria

Surgeons Use New Tools...
« on: September 03, 2010, 05:02:01 pm »
FYI... Medical Bulletin

Annamaria

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Surgeons Use New Tools to Treat Inoperable Brain Tumors
09/03/2010

(ST. LOUIS) Washington University neurosurgeons used a new tool for the treatment of braintumors at Barnes-Jewish Hospital for the first time Sept. 1. The tool, the Monteris AutoLITT system is an MRI-guided high-intensity laser probe that “cooks” cancer cells deep within the brain, while leaving surrounding brain tissue undamaged.

Barnes-Jewish is the third hospital in the U.S. to have the tool.

Ralph G. Dacey Jr., MD, chief of neurosurgery at Washington University School of Medicine, and Eric C. Leuthardt, MD, used the Monteris system in a procedure on a patient with a recurrent brain tumor located deep in the brain.

Previous surgeries coupled with the hard-to-reach location of the tumor made a standard tumor resection surgery impossible, said Dr. Leuthardt, director of the Center for Innovation in Neuroscience and Technology at Washington University.

“This tool gives us a treatment for patients with tumors that were previously deemed inoperable,” said Dr. Leuthardt, MD. “It offers hope to certain patients who had few or no options before.”

In Wednesday’s procedure, the surgeons drilled a small burr hole about the diameter of a pencil through the patient’s skull, and then used MRI scans to guide the thin laser probe through the brain into the tumor.

Once inside the tumor, the laser discharged highly focused energy to “cook” and coagulate cancer cells, killing them. The MRI directed positioning of the laser and monitored in real time the discharge of energy to the tumor so healthy surrounding brain tissue was left undamaged.

The Monteris AutoLITT received FDA approval for neurosurgical use in May 2009.

Kathryn Holleman
(314) 286-0303
kholleman@bjc

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: Surgeons Use New Tools...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:42:59 pm »
Fascinating!!!!!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 09:11:07 pm »
I'm still wondering why there isn't a catheter that goes in and sucks the bad cells out. lol.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

The Beast

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 04:53:30 am »
i'M VERY EXCITED ABOUT THIS SURGERY!! Want to know if it is now part of standard treatment at Barnes Jewish hospital or what? I am getting all my dads disc and reports to send to them. Before I make the appointment.. But would like to know if they are planning on doing this surgery as part of standard treatment? Since FDA approved it does that mean that most insurances will pay? Tell me anything about it you would like to need to know all I can. Limited time starts avastin Jan. 22 so have to have a plan before then. ???